Lacquer thinner?

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone tell me if Lacquer thinner evaporates clean and leaves no residue?

Thanks

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lacquer thinner?

I think (but not completely sure) that is DOES leave a residue. The only cleaning solvents that come to mind that I'm aware of that don't leave any residue are acetone and denatured alcohol.

TG

iwombat

Captain

All petroleum-based solvents leave some kind of residue.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

are you sure ManOfwar ? what cleanups ? you want to wipe down your freashly sanded 545 primer ? for paint ??

Klos did not specify on what surface he was cleaning..I would recomend that we ask in what application is he asking about.....

YD.

PS. manofwar..what cleaning are you talking about ??what substrate ? glass..or primer..or what ?

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I was a little vague on what it would be for.

The use would be for cleaning tools and supplies after layup. I would still use acetone for core material, between laminates, etc.

I've used acetone for a long time but because of the cost I thought it might be better to pre-clean tools with something less expensive like thinner.

Maybe it would be better to pre-clean with lacquer thinner and follow up with acetone.

I'm going through a lot of acetone, trying to keep the expense down.

iwombat

Captain

If it's just for cleaning tools - I use paint thinner and then wipe it clean with a shop towel. Works fine.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

you could use thinner for preclean then acetone..mainly for brushes and rollers..

I dont go through very much acetone myself..but there is a trick to it..

Acetone evapurates very fast ! so it will lift off alot with it.

cleaning your scissors lets say..small amount of acetone to wipe off chunks and such..then WET your rag out..quickly run and scrub it..open it and lay it down. done correctly it will be dry and clean ( you could even flake off any left over glass strands on it )

let the tone flash of on its own..dont keep rubbing till dry.