Removing Bottom Paint

Gabby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 22 foot fiberglass cuddy that has had bottom paint on it as long as I've owned it. (5 years) Previous owner kept it slipped late Spring to Fall. I slipped two years and then moved. I am now forced to trailer her. Here's the question.
I would love to remove the anti fouling paint from the bottom, as it's worn off in a few places and the boat is never in the water more than 3 days at a stretch. I've seen many advertised processes and chemicals for this procedure. All seem to advocate scraping, soda blasting, sand blasting, dynamite, EPA nightmares and /or a 4 week vacation to complete the job.

Is there a product or method that will allow me to do this at my home, above the trailer, i.e. one side at a time, without ruining the a. hull, b. trailer. c. environment and d. the tenuous relationship I enjoy with my land lubbing communist neighbors. :%

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Gabby, I have sanded off the buildup in the past. The problem is that you scuff up the gel coat, which I then sealed with 3 coats epoxy primer, followed by more A-F paint. You likely want a good looking hull, devoid of paint. I would think that sandblasting with a soft media (walnut shells of appropriate courseness) would be best. It should leave a matte finish, which may be the best you could get. I am going to experiment with a muratic acid-based product, to see if I can get some of the A-F paint off my boat. It is supposed to be spray on, hose off, but we will see.

Gabby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I have never used the walnut shells and would need to rent a sandblaster to do that. Not sure I am prepared for that. A co-worker owns a 300 units storage facility and asked an old friend of his that maintains boats what to do. His suggestion was a 3000 PSI pressure washer. He stated that if the paint was chipped anywhere that would allow me to get the water UNDER the paint and I could slowly peel it off with the water. I wonder what 3K PSI would do to the hull?

Thanks again, and if you have any luck with the muratic acid please drop a note. Gabby