Avenger Resto: STRINGER INSTALL; PLEASE L@@K!

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Avenger Resto: STRINGER INSTALL; PLEASE L@@K!

What part are you worried about? What did you use to bond the stringer to the hull?
At this point I would mix up some milled fibers/cabosil/resin putty to make a nice rounded transition from hull to stringer. Makes it alot nicer to layup glass, you don't want to layup at any sharp angles.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for tip about the rounded edge, klos. Basically what you've described is a fillet, right?

I'm worried because I've never done it before. Questions I keep asking myself: When I pull the weights off the stringer, will it hold together? Will the bottom of the boat turn out straight? What I used to bond it was unthickened resin and two layers of 1708 cloth on the hull. I then took a resin/microsheres mixure at about the consitency of thin peanut butter and put that on the mating surface of the stringer. When I pushed it in place not as much of the resin/micropheres mixure squeezed out as I would have like to have seen. Well, tonight I'll pull the weight off the thing and see if it stays.

TG

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only way that stringer is coming out now is if you hit it with a sledge hammer. Assuming that you have a good mechanical bond by prepping the wood with acetone, grinding the old glass in the hull.
Even if your using polyester you would be supprised how strong the bond is even before laying up any fiberglass.
I like to use 1/4" milled fibers in the putty mix to help hold it together. You will notice once in a while depending on the thickness of the fillet sometimes the putty will crack because of the heat buildup durring the cure. The milled fibers make a big difference.

"Will the bottom of the boat turn out straight?"

If the hull is straight now then it should not make any difference when you take that little bit of weight off.
Just make sure that you are not in the boat durring the cure. your weight in a concentrated area can definatly cause a hook in the hull.

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also as long as the bunks on the trailer are in good shape (not rotten) that is usualy enough support for the hull.
and never use a roller trailer.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again, klos. I took the weight off and it held together! I mixed up some fillet compound to fill the voids around the stringer, and I used fibers in the mixure like you suggested along with microspheres. I made my own fibers by cutting the left over, unusable cloth fragments into little pieces. Actually might make a better strength solution than just one size fibers like 1/4" because the size of the fibers are random. I'll try to take a pic of what it looks like before I completely encapsulate it in glass. With the fillets around it the thing looks stong and h-ll!

TG

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

My original fears about installing the stringer were unwarranted. Two stringers in, last one cut and shaped, ready to be installed. Please see the pics!

s110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/tadpoleig/

TG

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Looks like your doing a fine job there TG !!