strongest putty?

Terrulle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are alot of fillers and puttys out there whether you buy them off the shelf or mix your own. I would like to see what the users of this forum use that they consider the strongest. Let's say... for gaps around new transoms before they are glassed in. I usually use poly resin with milled fiberglass for this and poly resin with cabosil for less structural applications. What do you think is the strongest?? T.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: strongest putty?

You pretty much got it, milled fibers with the resin make for a strong putty. The strongest is acheived by adding fiberglass chopped strand, which is really the same as milled fibers except it is 1/4" instead of 1/16" or 1/32".

I also add a bit of cabosil to smooth things out, though.

I wouldn't use resin/cabosil to fill anything more than a 1/8-1/16" gap. Bigger use the milled fibers.

Bondo

Staff member

I'd think that the Strongest would be Chopped Strand Glass, Cab-o-Sil,+ Epoxy Resin........

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No doubt the Epoxy is best but poly wont bond to it if you need to go over it

Bondo

Staff member

sbklf said:
No doubt the Epoxy is best but poly wont bond to it if you need to go over it

True Enough,...........

But I've found myself just doing Complete Projects with Epoxy resins,+ covering it with Ureathane 2-pt. Paints............

About the Only Poly-products I use anymore is Bondo on car bodies...........

Gotta Admit,........
Sanding Epoxy work,....... Is Really Work,+ Uses up Alot of Sandpaper.............d:)

Terrulle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have used epoxy with milled fibers and it is pretty strong. It also won't crack in warm weather in large volumes but the mechanical bond from an epoxy putty using poly resin over it just doesn't work for very long. Plus I start spending more money on epoxy and I turn a molehill into a mountain. I have access to polyester so I try to find the strongest, cheapest use for it. Epoxy is by far the best though in my opinion. T.