Ski Pylon in Rear Fishing Seat Base

I am currently redoing the decks on my '94 fish 'n ski boat, but I was considering maybe in the future using the rear seat mount for a ski pylon.

I know the pylon itself will have some braces that tie back, but how much reinforcement is needed in the floor? I am using 3/4 plywood with two layers approx. 18" x 18" at the seat base. and the whole thing covered in fiberglass mat and resin. Then the rear deck screws down with a dozen or two screws into the top cap below. Will this support a pylon? If so, how far from the back edge of the deck do I need to be to facilitate the future braces?

Thanks in advance.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ski Pylon in Rear Fishing Seat Base

Not an expert on pylons, but I did research this a while ago. Your floor seems plenty strong for a pylon. Most of the forces are at the top of the pole pulling perpendicular to the floor, so the floor forces aren't that great anyhow. The key, of course, is the tie down supports.

here's a web site with some pictures on how pylons are supported. I hope it helps.

http://www.bigairpylons.com/PylonMorePics.htm

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to be able to get under the floor to properly secure the base on that type. I've seen those on eBay quite a bit cheaper sometimes, btw.

Are those only for an outboard? At 28" high it wouldn't work with an I/O if floor mounted, would it?

Yes, I have an outboard and you are probably right about it not being tall enough for an I/O. I am actually lucking in that the rear seat mount is over part of the battery compartment so I can reach through there to pin in.

I'm just worried that if I reinforce the snot out of the rear deck with fiberglass, will it put too much force on the top cap that the floor is screwed to? I will post a picture tonight to help explain but basically the rear of my boat is a large battery compartment and a livewell that a deck with two hatches cover. The two compartments are intregal with the top cap of the boat and then are covered with the deck which is screwed in as many places as you please.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It won't put as much force as a wakeboard tower does, and the cap seems to do okay with them. I have seen plenty of aftermarket wakeboard towers put on boats that I would have hesitated putting them on and the cap seems to hold up. I think you'll be okay...

Very good point. If those tall towers can be supported off of the top cap, a shorter pole should be no problem.