convert jon boat bench seat to dry storage

jon_boat_boy

Recruit
Hi all,

I'm wanting to convert the front bench seat on my 14ft jon boat to dry storage. Would appreciate some ideas on the best way to do this.

Thanks!
JBB

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: convert jon boat bench seat to dry storage

Is there a foam floatation block under the seat now? It should be fairly easy to make a box and mount it below the seat. You could either cut anf hinge the seat to open it up or put in a door on one side.

Do you really want DRY? Or mostly dry? If you make it too tight it will not breath and it will sweat inside.

jon_boat_boy

Recruit

Yeah there is foam in the bench now. I'd like it to have a lid on top. Maybe put plywood in the bottom? Not tooo tight so it will breath. So if i cut out a rectangular opening on the top, should i have another rectangular piece of aluminum cut that is a tad bit larger than the opening i made, slap some hinges on it and some kind of latch and that's it?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

One thing you have to remember is drainage. Water WILL find its way into ANY hatch. Be it watertight or not. But, by some strange trick of nature, never wants to leave. You need to incorporate drainage into it somehow.

D

DJ

I have done that. However, we did not remove all the foam and put the battery, for the trolling motor, in the space. Yes, we hinged a plywood top

It worked great, opened up floor space and solved a weight distribution issue.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont know if its a big issue... but you are bypassing a safety feature by making that into a storage area... by removing that safety foam, you decrease the chances of you maintaining boyancy if a the hull is punctured...

so , you might want to have an automatic bildge set up near the transom...

just a thought...

later

zuke

booboo7353

Cadet

I did something like you want to do. Instead of storage i made a livewell. The easiest way i found was to drill out the rivets holding the bench into the boat then before you knock the foam out measure the width of it so the holes line back up. Knock the foam out. Then what i did was i took my drill and i cut a hatch out of the top where you would normally sit. Took my grinder and smoothed it out. And made a lid out of wood.Then i sealed it up by getting some 1/8 inch( i think that was the size) particle board taped the board to the underside of the seat. Then fiberglassed the whole inside and outside around the wood. This would work for you. My livewell is water tight i did like 4-5 coats but you would only have to do like 2. if you have any questions ill try to get you some pics just let me know.