Avenger Project - THOUGHTS, PICS, Q'S

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
s110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/tadpoleig/

STILL don't know how to make the above a hyperlink when creating a new topic. Sorry.

It is my opinion that rebuilding a fiberglass boat has elements in it that is absolutely MISERABLE. The grinding is the worst. I've never done more unpleasant work. Working with the cloth and resin, now that's kind of fun. Brewing up toxic chemicals and applying them makes me feel kind of like a wizard or something.

Question: When I resin the transom to the outter skin, how do I effectively clamp it? There's no way to get clamps down on the lower part of the transom. Yes, clamping wood lengths under the clamps helps, but it doesn't quite cut it, I don't think.

TG

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Avenger Project - THOUGHTS, PICS, Q'S

HEHE The grinding and sanding of fiberglass is NOT great fun. I'll be doing somemore of that myself. Journey II is just about to go full bore.
As for the clamping, run a screw thru from the outside of the transom everywhere you have a hole. IE bilge drain, splashwell drain motor moumting holes transom eyes etc. etc.

Then step out of the box a bit and from the inside of the boat wedge some 1x2 and such to even out the pressure across the transom. Have fun and don't get overwelmed. Inch by inch and it will get there.

It really is way cool when you float it again!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I did mine as Indymike described. I ran bolts through both drain holes, transom tiedown holes, clamped the edges, and wedged 2x4s into the lower corners. It worked fine...

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the suggestions for using the existing transom holes. That never occurred to me. I suppose you could also run lengths of wood from one hole to the other. For instance, running two 2x4's from one of the transom eye holes to the bottom drain plug, one on the outside of the transom, one on the inside.

TG