Rubbing compound

jadoty

Seaman Apprentice
Is there any reason not to use regular auto rubbing compound on marine paint/gel coat to remove oxidation, or do you need to use a product specifically for marine applications?

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Rubbing compound

ive used it many times and have never had a problem.

jadoty

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I figured but I didn't know if there was maybe something different about marine paint that was a problem.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just be aware of what duty compound you have. 3M makes various grades from light cut to heavy duty cut. You only want to use what you need. If you use a heavy cut with a polisher you could cut the gelcoat right away.

Forensic

Recruit

I just got done wet sanding and buffing my boat to remove years of oxidation. I used a maguires one step compound. I followed that up with a Marine/RV polishing compound, Maguires #45 and a carnuba wax.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I found oxidation is best removed by wet sanding with some light grit from 1200 to 2400 is available at any auto paint shop.
Much faster (easier) then starting with rubbing compound. Keep paper wet & clean in bucket of water, use a spraybottle on hull area to be sanded. Then wash/wipe it down good. Then light liquid rubbing compound and use a power buffer for best results. Then use a polish if the sheen is not deep enough. Then Wax it. Then Enjoy the new look.
Merry Christmas !
[url="http://eharder.com/Nova%20II/nova_0556.jpg] Before [/url] and [url="http://eharder.com/Nova%20II/nova_638.jpg] After [/url]

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sanding can be harsh. Do a search in this section of iboats about comet cleanser and you will find that many members have had great success with it removing oxidation.