1979 Aristo Craft Restoration

kupps

Cadet
This is going to be my first restoration project. Where do I start? Do I make a list of little projects and work one at a time? Do I start on the engine first, after clean-up?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1979 Aristo Craft Restoration

start with the engine, that's the most expensive part to replace. compression,spark, impeller etc. you don't say whether outboard or i/o. make a list of what needs to be done. then break it down to what has to be done to make it safe, leave the cosmetics till last. do small projects, that way it doesn't get overwhelming.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

be aware that parts and service for the OMC, are getting extremely hard to find and expensive. be careful how much money you put into to it. being an OMC you are not going to get it back if you sell. the general concencious of knowledgeable buyers on OMC, is run like hell away from it. sorry.

kupps

Cadet

tashasdaddy said:
be aware that parts and service for the OMC, are getting extremely hard to find and expensive. be careful how much money you put into to it. being an OMC you are not going to get it back if you sell. the general concencious of knowledgeable buyers on OMC, is run like hell away from it. sorry.

I have found a couple of doner boats locally. I have been debating if I should repower with an outboard.

ziggy

Admiral

kupp, i've never restored a boat. but i do have one that needs to be restored. i was all ready to have me a different engine and drive for that boat. both were bad. in the end, i'm glad i didn't spend the money on that as the ft. motor mount was bad leading me to discover that the stringers were bad.. i really didn't see any point in spending 5k or whatever and have no place to bolt new stuff down to. that would not get me on the water. guess what i'm sayin is make sure yer boat is intact engough to put a dive and engine into it. mine wasn't.
you may be into an interesting project and i hope ya'll keep us informed. i don't think you'll find wood stringers or a wood transom in yer boat. which is uniqe i think from. i have no idea if an outboard could be put ontoit. that curved (arc) transom don't look to likely to accept a outboard with out mods though. aristocraft only made that one model and all were i/o's.
ya mighat read this, buttanic has some interesting things to say about this boats construction...

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=1165596;gpid=1165596#gpid1165596

perhaps ya can go for a few donor boats and come up with one. ..i'm rootin for ya man....

kupps

Cadet

The engine was running before the boat started changing hands.

I have been considering pulling the engine and intermidiate out, repairing the hole where the outdrive is and putting a gill bracket and outboard on it.

The problem with this idea is I think it will take away from the character of the old boat and cost more.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Is it an omc stringer? If so, would the transom be strong enough to hold the outboard bracket?

kupps

Cadet

Yes it is a stringer.. I am going to call the local armstrong dealer to see if it will work.

I would rather keep original.

ziggy

Admiral

interesting.

Yes it is a stringer..

i never thought about that. i wonder what yer omc stringer is connected to. assumeing it aint' got stringers. which is the way i understand aristo craft boats to be. perhaps i'm up for an education..have you got any pics. you don't have a front motor mount like i do i don't think....
my aristo craft is interesting in the fact that my front motor mount sits on the same floor i walk on and there is no bilge per sey like in most boats i've seen.....is that the way yers is too kupps? w/o a bilge per sey......

kupps

Cadet

Mine has a 4 cylinder.. below the front motor mount is the trim cylinder. There is some what of a bilge. I will take some pictures of it soon.

shaker57

Recruit

kupps said:
This is going to be my first restoration project. Where do I start? Do I make a list of little projects and work one at a time? Do I start on the engine first, after clean-up?
My Name is Glen I just came into an Aristcraft 19 HT need a little wood work and a head for the GMC four cylinder. HT is in good condition - soft top frame in good condition -outdrive fitted for 4 or 8 cylinder engine undecided which engine to use ultimately. Any information you want to share about your boat E Mail me at glensmith_828@yahoo.com