Pontoon Cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings all,

I am thinking of taking a 24 ft. pontoon and building a 8 x 12 ft cabin on the back half , leaving an open deck on the front.. Anyone ever done such a project.
Open to all comments

Uncle Dave

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Pontoon Cabin

Seen a few homebrews like that. You will probably want to push the cabin a bit forward leaving some deck space aft. If you have the cabin all the way to the rear, you will sit too stern-heavy.

What may be a better solution would be making the roof of the cabin flat for a nice deck up top.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....... Your project Could Work............

You'll need a Light-Weight Cabin,........
'Cause the Weight will Make or Break your Idea........

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree weight distribution is the key, leave atleast 2 to 3 feet for a rear deck, to service the engine.(fuel tanks, propane tank, etc) place your heavier interior furnishing to the center of the boat for better distribution, and keep in mind right to left distribution. when stopped you want to sit fairly level, or it will be very uncomfortable.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea to move forward somewhat.

I also want to move the console to the forward part of the cabin. That would mean new steering cable and controls.

Plan is to build the wall of 1" or 1 1/2" alum. square tubing and then using alum skin and 1" foam board for insulating.
Lots of windows. Door to forward and rear deck.
4' rear deck. 12" cabin and 8' forward deck.

since I have not bought the pontoon boat yet, any suggestions?
Are there any models with the console already well forward?

Uncle Dave

tashasdaddy

i believe your best bet will be to build your own console, and place it in the center of the boat, this way you will have the best view so you can dock either side, because of weather conditions. i doubt you will find anything with the console already 16' forward of the stearn.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do plan to have the console in the forward part of the cabin.
The cabin will have a center door so the wheel and console will go to the right side. I did find a 24' pontoon boat with a center console that was well forward.. but no motor or trailer.
But 250 miles away and no trailer. It is early in the off season so I will keep looking.
Anyone know if steering cables and control cablel are available in 18 to 20 ' lengths?
BTW I do appreciate the inputs. While in the planning stage, changes are not so expensive.

U. D.

crunch

Commander

Uncle said:
Good idea to move forward somewhat.

I also want to move the console to the forward part of the cabin. That would mean new steering cable and controls.

Plan is to build the wall of 1" or 1 1/2" alum. square tubing and then using alum skin and 1" foam board for insulating.
Lots of windows. Door to forward and rear deck.
4' rear deck. 12" cabin and 8' forward deck.

since I have not bought the pontoon boat yet, any suggestions?
Are there any models with the console already well forward?

Uncle Dave

A thought crossed my mind, with the AL. sheathing you won't have a lot of shear strength, you might consider some diagonal braces on each wall and the roof.

studlymandingo

Commander

The steering cables you need should be no problem to find. Look around for some marine salvage yards, I have purchased like-new steering cables for $1 per foot.

tashasdaddy

your in South Georgia, i'm in Jacksonville, we have a good store here, that deals in marine supplies that are in damaged boxes, etc. just bought a complete Teleflex 19' rotary steering system for $119, including tax. new and used parts at a good discount. they have several stores across Florida so they can find what you want. email me @ tashasdaddy@comcast.net will spend you their info. bring your shopping list, could be worth the trip. my BNL & I call it the toy store, almost as good as Home Depot and Lowes.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tash, I am 150 miles from Jax. Is that store on line?

I will use bracing when welding up the alum. framing. Lots of window so bracing will definately be required.

On a different matters. Still part of the project. When looking for a pontoon trailer, there seems to be two types. One with the wheels close in and they look unstable, but put the boat closer to the ground and easier to load? Which one is reccomended , especially since the "cabin" will add some weight and raise the center of gravity somewhat.

Uncle Dave

jake069

Seaman

I would definetly go with the type that the pontoons ride on

tashasdaddy

dave, i agree with jake. i just like the wider stance of the trailer, you can get a tongue extention, they mount under the tongue of the trailer, and slide out to be use at the ramp, inorder to get the trailer deeper in the water. also when i buy a trailer for a specific boat, i always get a longer tongue than necessary to carry the boat. this way you can open the tail gate of the truck or SUV with out hitting the the bow stop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You might want to do stick steering with as small as possible console.No sense taking up unecessary space.
Also if you just want to be able to service the motor about 30" rear deck will work though a little awkward.
and if you change the front deck to about 6 ft you could
do a cabin over 15 ft.
Also keep in mind a 24 ft pontoon is just that 24 ft pontoons the deck is usually shorter.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made an excursion down to Brunswick Ga. over the weekend and found several toonies. One already had a fishing shack on the rear. Homemade but he made several of the mistakes mentioned on here. He put the cabin too far rearward. No rear deck at all. It gave a little more room up front for fishing but I bet it sat low in the rear. It was behind a fence so not much chance to give close inspection. I wil call the phone and see what the deal is next week.
It is still early in the off season to be looking for a good boat deal.

GoFishHotWater

Recruit

I just finished my fishin shack. Some important things to keep in mind.Total height-12' or under on trailer, weight is #1 concern, i used steel studs, fbg ins.& light weight paneling on walls, Ceiling was steel studs,ins. & vinyl ceiling. Aluminum is better. Make you own console, cover w/ outdoor carpet, center is best, lots of windows. My 4' front & rear deck have composite deck flooring. Depends on what use you have. Let me know if you want more info or photos.

Larry

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep , Larry is starting out necro-posting , lol . :D
Still there is some good info for those considering a pontoon houseboat , so the mods will probably lock it and leave it readable .

Welcome to the board , Larry .

Status
Not open for further replies.