• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Bow Eye?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow Eye?

I have an old Wagemaker Aluminum boat... The bow eye on the front is an old aluminum one that has 2 smaller holes in it and my anchor hook is a tight fit... I would like to replace it but the problem is that the bolt that holds mine on is 5/8" and the largest i find is 3/8" does someone know where I can find one with a bigger stud or have another idea of how to change this???

Re: Bow Eye?

Actually I repaired the replacement of the bow eye in my fiberglass boat, where someone had used a smaller shanked bolt than the hole.

Basically I cut a new wood block for the inside that had to new smaller hole in it. I lined that up and 'poxied it to the inside of the boat. I filled the larger bow hole with epoxy putty and also added epoxy putty around the base of the bow eye and bolted it all up. The epoxy putty will fill in the surrounding space and also seals the joint to make it watertite.

Un less you are going to some how find an aluminun tube with dimentions that match the old hole on the OD and the new bow hook on the ID, you're stuck with using fillers. Even if you ahd the tube you would STILL coat it with Epoxy before the install to seal things up.
    Tiny Tanic Rebuild Custom Folding Rear Seats Outboard Steering Rigging

Comment

Hey Bunky -

Is there a forum you're not on? d

Todd
      Todd Gerber
      1978 Starcraft American 15
      Merc 85

Comment

My guess the 5/8" bolt is aluminum too, that is why it is so thick. Using the 3/8" stainless steel will be plenty strong.

Depending on how it is attached, you can do as sdunt said, or if it doesn't have a block on back you should give some thought to isolating it from the aluminum with some rubber (like from an inner tube) or gasket material and seal with something like Boatlife to prevent galvanic action between dis-like metals.

Probably not a real problem on fresh water, but put that in salt water and POW! big hole in bow where bow eye used to be.... LOL!
        sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

Working...
        X