what is the best putty available

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class
what is the absolute best stuff on the plannet to fill old hardware mounting holes and nicks in gelcoat

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: what is the best putty available

I haven't used it very much, but the MarineTex epoxy putty worked well for me. Each time that I have used it has satisfied my needs for the application I was using it for.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

marine-tex gets my vote

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I realize it says marine on it and they certainly CHARGE for that.

How is this stuff different from the epoxy stick that I can get at HomeDepot in the plumping section that also can be used underwater and seals and fills, etc and sells for $4 for a 15 oz stick?

Epoxy Putty hardens like steel in 20 minutes! Ideal for plumbing, electrical, auto and home repairs. Plugs, seals, patches holes and cracks and mends almost anything broken. Can be used for underwater repairs. Excellent for fabricating or rebuilding parts and for use as an all-purpose adhesive for metals, wood, glass, masonry, ceramics and many plastics. Can be drilled, tapped, file, sanded and painted like metal. NSF certified for use in potable water applications.

tommays

Admiral

Cause your generaly not going to use much and it has a proven record of trouble free repiars that last :)

Tommays

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

sdunt, I know the epoxy that your talking about. Around here we call it tootsie roll epoxy. I've used it plenty of times for many different repairs.

Where MarineTex epoxy differs is that it is softer and easier to use a putty knife. (Almost like drywall compound.) The epoxy stick (even when it is warm) is not as soft and easy to squeeze deep down into cracks and holes. Yes the Marine Tex is more expensive, but made for the job it is required to do.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If these filled holes are visible and need to match the surrounding area, then use gel coat. While epoxy is stronger, these repairs will have little or no stress on them, so the extra strenght is normally not needed, plus you can buy gel coat (or tint it yourself) to match the boat. Sometimes you can tint the epoxy, but it's more difficult to get a good match and if you try to use gel coat over the epoxy, it won't bond well.

If you are just fixing them and are going to repaint the boat, then forget everything I just said.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes ill be painting it . marine tex it is.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

IMHO MarineTex is horrible to work with. There is no practical ways to measure and mix small amounts and it is way to runny to fill anything but horizontal holes. I'm sure there must be better products.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I have used marine tex on the bottom of the boat and it stayed where I put it.

This is from Marine tex:
Thank you for your interest in our Marine Tex products.
Marine Tex will adhere to old epoxy without any issues. Please make
sure
the area is scuff sanded and thoroughly cleaned.
I have attached an informative paragraph from our website that you may
find
very helpful.

How to apply gelcoat over epoxies (Marine Tex):
-Applying polyester resin (like gelcoat) over epoxy is very tricky and
must be done extremely carefully. The smaller the repair, the easier
it
is to coat epoxy with gelcoat. The larger the area, the polyester
will be
more difficult to work with and more likely to malfunction (not cure).
-Mix and apply the epoxy to the surface to be repaired. Be sure to
use
the correct proportions and keep the application at a minimum of 70?F.
-Let the epoxy cure for a minimum of 48 hours. Leave more time for
curing
if temperatures are between 68? - 60?F. (At least 72 - 96 hours.)
This
time for curing allows the amine blush (a waxy surfactant) to come to
the
surface.
-Clean the surface with a quick wipe of solvent. (please wash with
warm,
soapy water)
-Check to see if the blush is completely removed.
-Lightly sand with 120 grit sandpaper, clean again.
-You will now be ready to apply the gelcoat.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional
questions or comments.

Sincerely,
Kristy Redstreake
Rec. Marine Sales/Customer Service
ITW Philadelphia Resins
http://www.marinetex.com/

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Marine-Tex runny? Boomyal you must have been way off measuring the 2 parts to mix, I agree you just have to eye-ball it but the stuff works good and is easy to sand and the repairs are impossable to see when you paint it over. I did over 70 holes in the interior on my 32 year old Wellcraft and the new paint his every repair ......It's nice stuff

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Boomyal said:
IMHO MarineTex is horrible to work with. There is no practical ways to measure and mix small amounts and it is way to runny to fill anything but horizontal holes. I'm sure there must be better products.

no practical way?...I've used measuring spoons, plastic picnic spoons, the tip of a popsicle stick, the handle of a plastic spoon, my (latex gloved) fingertip...it doesn't have to be a recognizable unit of measurement - just 7 of these...and one of those...mix it up. Put it in thick if you need to, don't have to layer it up. Always stays put for me...maybe you got too much hardener. Sand it, drill it, paint it, whatever.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

marine-tex is the way to go. I just used it to fix some deep gouges in the gel coat on my bass boat. It worked great, sands good and has a nice smooth finish. It gets my vote.