Bow Rail Replacement

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My bow rail was hit by something (prior to me owning it) and has a bend that has always annoyed me. I am considering taking it off and trying to straighten it. However, I found that it has lock nuts which are not accessible without removing the rub rail and separating the cap - not something I really want to do. So...I was considering either stainless toggle bolts or over-drilling and then epoxying in threaded inserts. Thoughts?

If I went the toggle bolt route could I use standard steel toggles and replace just the screw portion with stainless? I realize it would need a little extra attention with 5200 on the threads and under the mounting plate to avoid water contact, but would that be a viable option or just asking for trouble?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would price the rail prior to doing anything. that annoying bend may be not so annoying.

post a pic of it, you may be able to straighten in-situ

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What Scott said,....

My guess is, you'll ruin the interior usin' toggles,.....
Generally speakin', there ain't the space in there, ya think there is,.....

dsiekman

IMG_2934 - cropped.jpg

There is also some minor damage to the glass I would like to address and I was considering topside paint.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
grab the rail and pull up on it. that should be all that is needed to straighten it.

dsiekman

Worth a shot! Then just tape and paint around it after I repair the glass?