85 Wellcraft 260 Aft Cabin Resto/mod......begins

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been looking for a project boat again. Had a 1970 17' tri-hull, open bow, 70hp johnson that got a new floor and transom put in it a few years back. Always wanted a bit bigger boat. While checking out a chaparral found in the woods, an old guy stopped and asked me what I was doing out there looking at that boat. I told him what was up and he told me where he lived and to come by and check out his boat in the barnyard, it might be what I was looking for. So I followed him home and saw this cool looking older boat. It looked older than an 85. Filthy dirty inside, paint outside and inside was in pretty bad shape, and the motor wasn't winterized properly (if at all). It was looking like it might be a bit more than what I wanted....26 feet long and all. Told him I had to think on it. Went back a couple of days later with my GF to get her first impression and gut feeling. We both thought it was a project we wanted to do, so we offered to haul it off for him. He laughed and said that wouldn't do, but we came to a price more in our favor than his. Plus he had more of his barnyard back.

So, now our journey starts with an 1985 Wellcraft 260 Aft Cabin in ok shape. Engine is a pile of rust, neither the OD trim nor the trim tab systems work, can't find out much about the boat because Wellcraft has been sold 3 times and now one has kept any of the old literature.

Pics to follow. As soon as I can figure out the issue with uploading photos.

Last edited:

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea, I followed that and still no luck. Could be a filter here at work. Unfortunately the android won't let me either, seems the photo selection box is all the way to the left, off of the screen...lol. Technology is great...when it works.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo281813.jpg
    photo281813.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281814.jpg
    photo281814.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will follow this with interest. I've just finished refurbishing my Wellcraft 250 Sportsman. Less cabin and more deck than your boat. I like to fish but still enjoy my creature comforts. Best of luck with it.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will follow this with interest. I've just finished refurbishing my Wellcraft 250 Sportsman. Less cabin and more deck than your boat. I like to fish but still enjoy my creature comforts. Best of luck with it.

I, too, like to fish, but just couldn't pass this deal up. Not exactly what I wanted, but its close and it'll work. I like the looks of the Sportsman style. Do you have a write up of the refurbishment?
There's a few things that I will be needing to locate. Like fabric covered foam for covering the walls and the forward bunk sides.

The engine I picked up on Friday is now sitting on a make shift stand so I could get it out of the back of the truck. And, I just couldn't wait for the weekend to check it out. Inspected all of the wires for general condition, pulled the plugs, fogged a little WD40 in each cylinder and turned it over by wrench. Cleaned the terminal connections on the starter and tried to give it a spin. No luck. Removed the started and bench tested it, still no luck. Smacked it a few times with a hammer, hooked the battery wires back up and viola, it spins. Re-installed it on the engine, hooked the wires back up and jumped 6,7 terminals and it spun over like a champ. Put the plugs back in, hooked the plug wires back up, dumped a little gas down the carb, and spun it over. It hit a couple of times and nothing, but it did hit. A little more gas down the carb, spun it over, and it was running for about 15-20 seconds. This weekend it will get the garden hose and gas can setup and we'll check into it farther. Then a winterizing as required until either spring or I make a decision on a 383 upgrade.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
New axles ordered for the trailer with brakes and new tires. Going to look at a rebuilt lower unit with new gimbal bearing and bellows this afternoon. Since temps are around 32 for the high, not sure on what will get done this weekend. I'm hoping to get the trailer back to the garage for the new axles, suspension and bunks.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is inspiring to see a few other bigger boat projects showing up here. Post a lot of pics - and make sure you thoroughly check the condition of the wood in the transom and stringers - if it is even wood anymore, or rotten mush like in my boat...

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
New axles, tires, electric brakes, and springs went on the trailer at the river house. I strongly dislike crawling around on a gravel driveway.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I break down a large box and put that down on the gravel. Makes it a little more comfortable.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I, too, like to fish, but just couldn't pass this deal up. Not exactly what I wanted, but its close and it'll work. I like the looks of the Sportsman style. Do you have a write up of the refurbishment?
There's a few things that I will be needing to locate. Like fabric covered foam for covering the walls and the forward bunk sides.

The engine I picked up on Friday is now sitting on a make shift stand so I could get it out of the back of the truck. And, I just couldn't wait for the weekend to check it out. Inspected all of the wires for general condition, pulled the plugs, fogged a little WD40 in each cylinder and turned it over by wrench. Cleaned the terminal connections on the starter and tried to give it a spin. No luck. Removed the started and bench tested it, still no luck. Smacked it a few times with a hammer, hooked the battery wires back up and viola, it spins. Re-installed it on the engine, hooked the wires back up and jumped 6,7 terminals and it spun over like a champ. Put the plugs back in, hooked the plug wires back up, dumped a little gas down the carb, and spun it over. It hit a couple of times and nothing, but it did hit. A little more gas down the carb, spun it over, and it was running for about 15-20 seconds. This weekend it will get the garden hose and gas can setup and we'll check into it farther. Then a winterizing as required until either spring or I make a decision on a 383 upgrade.

Here's a link to a step by step with pictures, that I'd posted on a site here in Ireland. It starts out with a refurb I did on a smaller 16' Microplus cabin Cruiser and then progresses onto the Wellcraft. You might find it of interest and possibly a little helpful. I'll be following along with your project and lots of luck with it.
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056816573

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I also forgot, but I put a short " Before and After" slideshow on youtube. If you go on and search Wellcraft 250 Sprotsman Restoration, you should find it pretty easily.