1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was doing some research on polyester pricing, and it seems I?ve somehow stumbled upon a site that doesn?t charge hazard fees and provides free shipping after a certain amount (haven?t confirmed the amount yet). At 26-30$ per 5 gallon bucket, this could be a huge reduction on the project. It?s Boatyard Resin from a company called Onyx at 128$/5 gallons.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I?ve got the O/B tucked away in the back of the garage for now until it?s time to redo the carbs (another project I?ll learn how to do). I?m 26 and my wife is 27, we both work 5 days a week with an occasional 6 depending on events, we?re both Athletic Trainers.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would think you?d burn out a Dremel pretty quickly trying to trim away the tabbing. I?d just go at i with a grinder.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh ok will do, I honestly wasn?t quite sure but I figured with it having such a smaller blade it would better be in so close to the hull. That won?t be for a while anyways and my coworker is letting me borrow any other tool I might need (angle grinders, belt sanders, orbital sanders, etc.). My goal Saturday is to get about hours in to knock all of this foam out, ideally I?ll try to leave the stringers so I can use them as templates.
The construction on this boat is still really odd to me. Up in the bow sections the cap just sat on plywood that made the storage compartments, and in the back behind the row seating the cap was screwed right into the deck. I?d like do a little more research on some of the projects here to see if I can?t come up with a bit of a redesign on those.

chevymaher

Commander
I was doing some research on polyester pricing, and it seems I’ve somehow stumbled upon a site that doesn’t charge hazard fees and provides free shipping after a certain amount (haven’t confirmed the amount yet). At 26-30$ per 5 gallon bucket, this could be a huge reduction on the project. It’s Boatyard Resin from a company called Onyx at 128$/5 gallons.

When I was looking I found them to. I am not saying what I found was right. But boatyard resin is a mixture of all the different resins left over at the end of the day of production. It may or may not have waxed resin mixed in there. Shelf time and set times vary it said due to this. The mixture is not guaranteed or consistent from batch to batch. The possibility of having waxed in there made me move on.

I used the small grinder with a diamond cutting wheel on it for cutting the tabbing close to the deck.

oldrem

Commander
Another tool to consider is a multitool with the half moon saw blade. I borrowed one from and friend and made short work cutting through some heavy fiberglass with a fraction of the dust of a grinder

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't cut deeper than what you know is there and use a light touch when close to the hull. You'll be alright :thumb:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Something like this? https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multi-tool-62279.html then just purchase the blades extra.

That would work. Just be sure to buy lots of blades if you have much fiberglass to cut. I found those oscillating tools to be really handy, especially for hard to reach places, but cutting fiberglass really did a number on the blades.

Also, you might consider buying a small (4.5"), inexpensive grinder rather than borrowing one. The fiberglass dust is very likely going to ruin it, so if you borrow an expensive one, you may be replacing it. I bought a $20 grinder and the first one lasted through about 80% of my restoration. I felt much better tossing a $20 grinder than I would have an $80 model.

I used a full-sized grinder a little, but I really found it to be too big and heavy for this kind of work.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, on another episode of ?I?ll only be spending 15$ honey?, I went just a tad overboard. I picked up a 4 1/2? angle grinder, dremel knockoff with a metal sawblade pack, respirator, and 36 grit flap wheel for the grinder. All of it was only 60$, but despite it being a bit of a tight month for us around the holidays I?ve got just about everything I need now to do most if not all of the demo and fiberglass removal. She?ll understand right? ;)

oldrem

Commander
Well, on another episode of “I’ll only be spending 15$ honey”, I went just a tad overboard. I picked up a 4 1/2” angle grinder, dremel knockoff with a metal sawblade pack, respirator, and 36 grit flap wheel for the grinder. All of it was only 60$, but despite it being a bit of a tight month for us around the holidays I’ve got just about everything I need now to do most if not all of the demo and fiberglass removal. She’ll understand right? ;)

That's why my wife and I made an agreement when we married over 25 years ago to an arrangement of "my money" "her money" and "our money". As long as I use mine I can buy that new gun, boat or tool without any repercussions :) Sometimes I do get a funny look, but oh well lol

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's why my wife and I made an agreement when we married over 25 years ago to an arrangement of "my money" "her money" and "our money". As long as I use mine I can buy that new gun, boat or tool without any repercussions :) Sometimes I do get a funny look, but oh well lol

We just have a few bills that need to be tended to, then we can breathe a little bit and start getting some more items for the boat lol. Typically we have a pretty good monetary arrangement but I?m worse than she is when it comes to buying new goodies.
I went by Lowe?s today (before Harbor Freight) to see if they had any of the AraucoPly Radiata Pine, unfortunately the other closest store 30 minutes away currently only has 3. I wanted to get a look at them before I decide to order them online in the next month or so, but the BC plywood they had didn?t actually look too bad. Of course you have to sift through an entire pallet to find just a couple good sheets, but the ones that were good only had a few defects on the faces. The biggest issue I saw were the ends and man were there plenty with voids. But, at 16$-20$ per sheet depending on 1/2? or 3/4?, I wouldn?t mind being more cautious in the prep work (if it comes down to having to use those). The ACX AraucoPly is on sale for 16$ but there?s no ship to store option, only home delivery.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Given the amount of fiberglass and resin I?ll be using, do you think the BC would be a deal breaker vs the ACX AracoPly?

oldrem

Commander
For the deck?? They say ACX, BCX or even CX as long as it's external, not green (no PT) and properly sealed

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes it would be for the deck, I?m still debating on what to use for the stringers. I?m thinking 3/4? stringers/bulkheads and 1/2? deck.

oldrem

Commander
If 3/4" is what came out you should be good. I got lucky with the Ouachita. Whoever rebuilt it last doubled up 2 3/4" layers of expanded polymer for the stringers. That was about the only thing they got right. I'll be doing all 1/2" flooring on both boat projects.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The only thing I'd be concerned about with BCX are voids, especially in the interior plies where you can't see/fill them. Also, depending on how you plan to cover the deck, you might need an extra layer of 'glass or fairing compound to get it as smooth as if you used ACX.

The voids would bother more, especially if happened to put a hole (for a seat pedestal screw, for example) through a void. With solid wood (no voids), you could be pretty sure that some sealant in the screw hole would prevent water intrusion. If the screw penetrated a large void, you might not get 100% sealing and there would then be path for water intrusion into the inner plies of the decking. Also, if you're using a thru-bolt and T-nut or similar thru a void, you may not get the same kind of compression as if the wood was solid. (This would be less of a concern if you use a backing plate under seat bases or pedestals.)

Probably be less of a concern to use BCX for stringers, I would think.