1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

oldrem

Commander
Thanks for the hint on the countersink. I have several of them I've used for woodworking projects, but never thought to try them on rivets. In the spring I'll have hundreds of them to remove on the Sylvan. Just hope this old mind remembers. :confused:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anytime! It was actually a suggestion by one of the Home Depot guys, I was just looking for a titanium bit instead of the ones I had when he came over and suggested using that instead.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
The hook piece on the chain popped out along wo H the piece of chain holding the 4x4 as we were lowering the cinder blocks to get the boat closer to the ground. The 4x4 only fell about 3? and we were already finished with adjusting the blocks, but about 10 minutes before that the front left of the boat was suspended complete with the crane. That resulting in her having a ?moment? lol.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, thank you again everyone for congratulating on today. I know it?s not a huge deal in the main scheme of this project, but it?s terrifying to see this boat in half and know what?s ahead. I?ve never owned a boat, so to be doing this 2 1/2 months after owning my first one is unexpected but an unfortunate necessity.

zool

Captain
Also, thank you again everyone for congratulating on today. I know it’s not a huge deal in the main scheme of this project, but it’s terrifying to see this boat in half and know what’s ahead. I’ve never owned a boat, so to be doing this 2 1/2 months after owning my first one is unexpected but an unfortunate necessity.

Look at it this way, you will know WAY more about your boat than other new boaters by just disconnecting and reconnecting most everything. When things go wrong out there, and it will at some point, you will have a good idea where to look for the problem, and possibly address it, and get back in safely and under your own steam.

You're making great progress!

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you very much zool, it means a lot to hear from you guys chiming in and certainly better than hearing the thought of how mad my wife was about all this mess LOL. Now that the boat is separated I've been trying to figure out how I can change some of the storage compartments, I absolutely HATE the idea of how many access points there are. On the bow there are 3 separate compartments that were carpeted, leading right down onto the deck with no drainage. By the transom there were another 3 hatches (one for oil, one for the live well, and the third being the ski locker), all leading right into carpeted wood by the bilge. For starters I'm going to redo everything in gel coat, so I think having a drain hole in each locker down to the bilge in the aft sections might help maintain transom integrity. Would love to hear some changes you guys might've done when you redid the boat. I figure right now it's all a clean slate, and I'm open to any suggestions.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Might as well update with the plans for the week: Wednesday morning and all Saturday I?ll be hacking away at the deck. My goal is by the end of Saturday is to try and have all of the decking gone, as well as start on the foam removal.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Have at it! This project will be more fun after the demolition an grinding are done. Then, you get to rebuild your boat the way you want it. Looking forward to watching this restoration!

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I?m thinking some YouTube videos are in store for the weekend. My wife will be gone and we don?t have code neighbors, so I won?t look crazy talking away into the phone lol.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Usually it gets you to see the bottom of the hull and all the rot that's just waiting to get grinded out. Have fun and be careful.
It's obvious the boat has mindmelded with you. ...You're hooked now so to speak.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
One track mindedness, being hooked, trying to make it up to my wife, it all kind of blends together now lol. It?s my mistake, and my responsibility to fix, but I?m excited to get this show on the road.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
image_282171.jpg image_282172.jpg image_282170.jpg image_282174.jpg image_282173.jpg I got a decent amount of progress done this morning after getting off to a bit of a late start. About 90% of the carpet is out, as is most of the decking. I left the tabbing out of the sides pretty wide for fear of slicing right through the hull until I can get a dremel or something similar. I'm trying to get better at these videos but I keep forgetting as you go to turn the phone sideways for a wide shot, it turns the video sideways lol. All in all not off to a bad start to this week's plans, and it also appears this boat only has two stringers? Might be a little bit cheaper in the rebuild (fingers crossed). Anyways, here's some pictures, and I'll have the video uploaded later just updating what it looks like. I also got the canopy up and going for the top cap, not too shabby for 100$. A couple of the pictures also show a little bit of damage to the gel coat we did removing the cap, and I'm surprised we didn't do more considering what it took to get it off lol.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used a flap wheel for getting close to the hull. The glass will clog the flaps a little, but that's good for a slower cut when you're right on the hull.

oldrem

Commander
Looks like good progress. I'm so jealous of those who don't have to wait for warmer weather in the spring.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
eggs712 I?ll look into the flap wheel for sure, need to get the dremel first lol.

oldrem it?s quickly getting colder, when I woke up it was about 32 and when I started right around 36 with decent winds. I have 2 10x40 tarps I?m planning on using to cover the front of the garage so we can heat it and get some of the fiberglass work done HOPEFULLY by February. How quickly this moves forward depends on how Mr. IRS feels about our tax return lol.

oldrem

Commander
I'm 68, but still working 6 days a week. I gave up on hoping for good weather on Sundays until spring. Our high temps are mostly around freezing now with nights in the teens. My village wouldn't allow putting up a structure (except up to 10'x12') without a permit, so I'm screwed there lol Once the snow season is over I'll start back up in the carport again. At least I'll be able to wheel outboards into the Admiral's garage to work on them indoors on Sundays