1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
1993 Chaparral Gemini 190: Chronicles of a New Boat Owner (Deck Rebuild) [SPLASHED June 2018]

Hey everyone, I'm new here to posting but not to these forums... I've been searching high and low in terms of how to do the rebuild of the deck, and by searching I mean EVERYWHERE. A lot of my inspiration has come from FriscoBoater and his series on YouTube, and a ton of other "How-To's" along with the forum guides.

Figured I'd give a little backstory. My wife Chelsea and I (Brandon) were on the market looking to purchase a boat under 5,000$ back in October (she wanted to wait until after the New Year, but I wanted to purchase early to work out any kinks and have it ready for the spring). I started searching on Craigslist and other used boating sites, and stumbled upon a good condition 1993 Chap Gemini 190. We decided to go look at it and I knew it had a small soft spot upon inspection, which the owner had said was repaired.

At the time I didn’t know about the horror stories or what soft spots really meant, we’re quite new to boating, and sadly I have to admit I’m not the most technically savvy person. We decided to purchase the boat for $3,700 after haggling the price down. My aunt’s boyfriend who is a Master Mechanic and used to work on I/Os came with me when I went to pick it up, and said the outboard on this thing is superb.

We’ve taken the boat out 5 times and, other than a couple idling issues (seems due to the carbs needing a rebuild), it didn't give us a single issue. I will note however there is a small sound during 20-30mph briefly that sounds like loose change or something rattling, but I have yet to get to the bottom of it. On our last trip out for her birthday before winterizing it, the chair mounting plate screws ripped out of the deck as I was sitting on it when we went over a wave, and that's when I knew I'd have to truly replace the deck.

I’m planning on redoing the transom, stringers, and deck. I’ve already purchased large sheets of Seadek on a huge Black Friday sale, and plan on gel coating instead of adding carpet again. It’s a large task that I wouldn’t wish upon anyone, but the support from this website has been tremendous already and I can’t wait to go document it going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today after taking the deck apart, the stringers and middle bulkhead were completely rotted to the point of looking like potting soil. Intrigued to do this rebuild but at the same time I'm definitely nervous about ensuring everything goes well and according to plan. Trying to keep my blood pressure low :D

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Its actually not hard at all, I just finished doing the deck stringers and transom on a 19' boat
Everyone on here was very helpful and got me through any bumps in the road
Dive in and start grinding and cutting
Just be sure to support the hull and take LOTS of pictures and mesurements
Lets see some pictures!

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today after taking the deck apart, the stringers and middle bulkhead were completely rotted to the point of looking like potting soil. Intrigued to do this rebuild but at the same time I'm definitely nervous about ensuring everything goes well and according to plan. Trying to keep my blood pressure low :D

The good thing about finding that everything is "rotted to the point of looking like potting soil" is that it's easier to remove! Partially rotted wood is harder to pull out than the complete mush. Either way, it has to come out. Just trying to get you to "think positive"!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Since you already have been watching Frisco's vids.....you have a good guide.

As you found, the floor is always the last thing to rot

I've done that job more than once.. my best advice don't cut any corners. Also keep any resins and he'll coats in the frig if you plan to store them. Also. When building the floor you want make sure of how your floor will drop in you might have to put in in two pieces due to the top of boat being in the way. If that's the case you will have to add new supports.. Also make sure to coat the bottom of the wood with a paper thin layer of glass and resin

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Good point crazyfinn its so much easier to remive the wood when its mush
But try to save as much of the wood as you can for templates to cut out the new wood

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm just worried about the $$$$$$$$$$$ adding up LOL. The only real concern I have is the fiberglass area in the bow section and in the seating area in the back. I can see screws that go into the decking but it appears to be a uniform piece that runs into the sides of the boat. Not sure about how to go about removing it?

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, thank you guys for the kind words and advice! I've bought styrofoam 4x8 pieces to template out the deck before doing any actual cuts.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
And one last thing, when I have enough posts under my belt I'll be uploading a TON of pictures.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I?m following. Interested to see what you?re working on.

Take it one step at a time and it?s less overwhelming!

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

I am subscribing in to follow along. $3,700 for a rotted out boat is a bit steep, and you will probably spend about $2,500 more in materials and tools to get it back in shape.

There are numerous threads of folks you have come before you with the same situation. There should be plenty of threads that you can look through here on the restoration forum to see how folks have dealt with the boat area. Often the rot stops short of the bow, but not always.

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here's the back wall behind the seats that lead up into the storage/battery section. The other picture is what I gutted out yesterday.

Attachments

• photo281475.JPG
    photo281475.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo281476.JPG
    photo281476.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo281477.JPG
    photo281477.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 8

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thank you JASinIL2006 and tpenfield, will update as much as I can as I'm getting pieces here and there for the build. Here's some more pictures, you can see where the rot appeared to have mostly started around the seat plate screws. The other pictures just consist of my "demo" yesterday, some of the bulkhead and stringer rot, and some homemade gas tank plywood keep-in-placer lol.

Attachments

• photo281480.JPG
    photo281480.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo281481.JPG
    photo281481.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo281482.JPG
    photo281482.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo281483.JPG
    photo281483.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo281484.JPG
    photo281484.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 3

bpounds1991

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Hey DRS, it?s a 1993 Chaparral Gemini 190. Just realized that wasn?t in the first post so I went back and updated the title.

Attachments

• photo281486.jpg
    photo281486.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2