Leaking ladder holes

byson2

Seaman
Water has been leaking into my Larson recently through the latter bolt holes. The support wood inside has gotten soft and rotten. What would be the best way to repair this? Pictured is one of the 2?x4? pieces of wood before and after removing it. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo281369.jpeg
    photo281369.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281370.jpeg
    photo281370.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it doesnt look like anything more than a new backer plate, some 5200 to seal it and put it back together. I would use aluminum for the backer vs a piece of wood, or you can go back to plywood (which was there before), just seal it.

icwingman

Seaman
Take that rotten wood drill tiny holes in it and fill with GET ROT, use a syringe from a drug store. You can then fill it and even drill it. I repaired many rotten boards on wooden boats. Get a good caulking around it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take that rotten wood drill tiny holes in it and fill with GET ROT, use a syringe from a drug store. You can then fill it and even drill it. I repaired many rotten boards on wooden boats. Get a good caulking around it.

thinned epoxy doesnt work. hundreds of testimonials to it not working in the restoration forums. the official name is GIT-ROT. others are CPES. they are all mostly solvents and do nothing for rotten wood.

if you look at the pic, the only rot appears to be the ladder backing plates. for the price of scrap aluminum or scrap wood, why would you waste your time with thinned down epoxy

oldrem

Commander

Forgot about that stuff. I used it more than 20 years ago with good results

Bondo

Staff member
Take that rotten wood drill tiny holes in it and fill with GET ROT, use a syringe from a drug store. You can then fill it and even drill it. I repaired many rotten boards on wooden boats.

Ayuh,.... That's alota time, materials, 'n effort to replace a couple scraps of plywood,...

As usual, I agree with Scott,....
All ya need is a couple of backer plates to spread the load of the ladder,....
'bout any scraps of plywood will do the track, though a couple pieces of aluminum would be better, as it won't rot,...

byson2

Seaman
No Title

Decided to go the cheap/easy route. I used a little thicker (3/4?) exterior ply, some bigger ss washers and excessive amounts of 5200. Hopefully it won?t leak but it?ll be 5 or so months before I?ll know.

Attachments

• photo281453.jpeg
    photo281453.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281454.jpeg
    photo281454.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

71beepbeep

Seaman Apprentice
I had the same thing happen to me on my 1996 SEI 194. I used the LocTite PL Marine and had no leaks. Luckily on these boats they did not drill the ladder holes directly into the transom like they started doing in 1997.

71beepbeep

Seaman Apprentice
You can see from these pics that the ladder is mounted just at the water line on these boats. In 1997 they mounted them directly in the transom causing rot issues if not properly sealed.

IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3943.JPG

byson2

Seaman
No Title

I think the smaller Larson?s may have had the ladder bolts through the transom too.
Our boats could be twins.

Attachments

• photo281995.jpeg
    photo281995.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 0

byson2

Seaman
Yes. A 96 model. I was looking for a relatively light weight bowrider with a big engine and Volvo Penta outdrive and found this a couple years ago. Plenty of power with the 5.7.

71beepbeep

Seaman Apprentice
Yes. A 96 model. I was looking for a relatively light weight bowrider with a big engine and Volvo Penta outdrive and found this a couple years ago. Plenty of power with the 5.7.
Mine has the 200 horse 4.3LX Mercruiser. It will run about 50 mph, but I don't like to run it that hard. I bet that 5.7 really pushes that boat down the lake.