1982 Viking Suncruiser 2500 SU IO restoration

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Starting a restoration project, motor locked up and not original its a Ford 188hp not a Chevy 260, MR1 outdrive seems complete and in repairable condition. Interior in need of repair replacing and updating. Galley and aft cabin floor soft and needing replaced. Surfing the web I have not found much about her expect that she was built at the end of the manufacturers business and that Chriscraft may have built this year MODEL one year. Big question is do I have a diamond in the rough or relic nobody besides me will want? Lots to do to say the least.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

finding parts for the ford motor is pricey.

I would source a newer GM powered mercruiser with an Alpha 1, Gen 2 vs dealing with the ford motor.

soft floor means rotten floor, rotten transom, rotten stringers.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thank for the info, agree in search of a Chevy 350 to bring her back to original as possible. Diging around I have checked the transom and hull under the seats/bunks engine compartment all seem solid and no sign of rot, minus the soft cabin floor, some seat and access covers and some at the base of the stairs. Caused by a couple thee years sitting and not coved well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would get a complete package controls to prop. you need more than just a motor

regarding rot, boats rot from the bottom up, last thing to go is the floor

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
I'm glad this rot is in the lowest level, will post pics when get it figured out how to.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here she is after her first bath, took about 3 or 4 hours on a pressure washer to knock off years of yuk. Other pic is of the galley floor that needs replaced.

Attachments

• photo281314.jpg
    photo281314.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281315.jpg
    photo281315.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 1

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This how I found her abit funky.

Attachments

• photo281316.jpg
    photo281316.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You are going to have to take everything out of the boat and tear the floor out, replace the transom, stringers, bulkhead, all flotation foam and the floor

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Little discovery yesterday of the galley and aft cabin floor. It's about 18 inches wide running the length of the area between two ribs or stringers on the hull. Peeled off the carpet and drilled a couple holes. Substrate is mush and dust. Ribs/stringers sound strong and hollow when tapped on. So far no sign of any foam anywhere. Your thoughts

Attachments

• photo281430.jpg
    photo281430.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281431.jpg
    photo281431.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281432.jpg
    photo281432.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well my thoughts are right there with Scott. It's a beautiful boat for sure. You have a total rehab like all of us end up doing. The foam is the last thing to be concerned about. You need a mindset to see if you are willing to pull nearly every part of that boat apart down to the hull. There is unfortunately no shortcuts.
When you bought this cool boat did you envision this part of the job? It's huge, it's been done here before and there are alot of great people here to help get you thru it. Scott will tell you...the rot starts from the bottom up.
You'll have a better boat than the factory put out when you are done.
When I brought home my shiny cool boat I had no idea of what was going to be needed. After I dug into it I just had to keep on digging. My boat was mush under all that pretty glass. I learned the hard way but I am so Happy for this forum or I would never had gotten to the point I'm at now. All be it...turtle speed. My boat won't have any resale value but it will be my boat. And I certainly could not afford to buy new and if I bought used at a higher price..believe me I'd probably would still be tearing it apart.
Welcome aboard.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks, she is a rare one for sure from what little i can find on the web. Best guess at this point is she was one of the last buit by Viking Boat Co. The HIN BEGINS WITH VBC and ends GM82C. CC data plate says Viking Boat Company. Yes I envisioned some FB work. I agree there's more to do than what I have found so far. Need to build a work shelter for her as winter is just getting started. My current work shop 24 by 40, 9 1/2 ceiling is too short as she sits that tall on the trailer.

Attachments

• photo281439.jpg
    photo281439.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281440.jpg
    photo281440.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Heck to get that into a storage area like yours I'd be letting air out of my tires and taking off the windshield. Work on the piggy all winter!!:D

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Good idea, thought about it but that would mean Cutting a taller door. Going to make a shelter out of a couple old 10 by 20s canvas carports and make the legs longer.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the idea, but the door way is 7 ft tall, even pulling the windshield and tires she is still too tall. Still will build its own shed as previously planned.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
34 x11 ft shelter built project under cover. Picked up 5 sheets of marine grade 3/4 ply from Menards. Looking forward to getting into to the cabin and seeing at needs repair ed rebuilt. Any one know of a f/glass store near Louisvice Ky for glassing supplies.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If you can source local that would be great to reduce shipping costs. UScomposites is my fav.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
In searching the web I have found every little about this boat or anyone else who has owned or rebuilt an 82 Viking cruiser, besides Phil here on iboats. Any good sources or sites that could shed some light on her would be wecome.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Found this on the dash last week, a data plate that says, "Especially made for Bob Jump"

Attachments

• photo282101.jpg
    photo282101.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1