Painting OVER gel Coat?

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife thinks the light blue gel coat on the top of our 1969 Sidewinder Pro is "hideous." Can we paint over it???
. boat_Avatar_small - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Sure,.... Sand, prime, 'n paint,.....

I use 2-pt automotive urethane paint,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its a trailer boat, you can use paint from tractor supply. (Find woodonglass's signature)

if its a moored boat, I recommend appropriate top and bottom paint.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
John Deere Green???? :D:laugh::lol:

They are kinda limited to a weak selection, I'm gonna paint my hull using those products too, but I don't want "Ford Blue" or "John Deere Green" (actual product names lol), I suppose I'll have to experiment with mixing colors.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Have you looked lately there are literally hundreds of colors of paint that you can get for $29 per gallon....add a container of $15 hardener and all said and done you can paint your boat for under $100

This is just the implement colors http://www.majicpaints.com/wp-conten...-Card-2014.pdf

plus you can mix/match anything you want.

(also, the New Holland Red is also known as Cummins Red/case red/fire engine red/porsche red)

there is also rustoleum https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/homeowner/working-with-color/color-schemes/

jbcurt00

Staff member
WOGs paint suggestions/techniques can be used w any decent oil based enamel paint.

IIRC, ACE hardware Rust-Stop has at least 3 stock blues that arent FoMoCo. And if they are setuo to mix, they will tint any of their oil based paints to suit.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks! I'll have to expand my eyes beyond my local tractor supply!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Tractor paint is Easy to Mix. My boat is SKY Blue and I did it using a base of White (8oz) and then added 1oz of the Ford Blue until I got the desired shade. If I remember correctly it ended up being 2.5oz of blue. Then using this ratio I mixed 16oz of white with 5 oz of blue added 1 oz of the hardener and painted. Came out pretty good and durability is Good.

Photo0272.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you trailer you can use it everywhere.

if you sit in the water, you will want a specific marine paint below the water line

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys this is GREAT info! My 1968 boat is gonna rock next year! I'll post pics when I'm done!

Boat_Avatar - Copy.jpg

oldrem

Commander
Good looking boat as she sits, but then we have to please our admirals

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Guys this is GREAT info! My 1968 boat is gonna rock next year! I'll post pics when I'm done!

dont you mean your boat is going to hit a rock....again....

me, personally would simply get new decals made to replace the current ones.

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good looking boat as she sits, but then we have to please our admirals
VERY true! Did you notice my add-on snowmobile windshields? When we first got the boat we'd cruise along with tears streaming down our faces. A windshield was my sassy "admiral's" suggestion. The snowmobile windshield idea... That was all me! :laugh:

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I may need to clarify that my wife likes the color of the SIDES, but the Gel Coat top is what she would like to re-paint.
Can you guys see this link? It's a short video compilation of a trip we took down to Hanover, NH on the CT River last year. It shows the top gelcoat in all it's glory!

Last edited: