Windshield

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

How is it out of alignment? The center window doesn't close, the edge gaps are wide or the gaps are uneven?

Sometimes the misalignment starts under the deck. Any soft spots in the deck?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So it's sagging. See if the deck is soft or weak under the center section.

I know the windshield gap isn't good, but the consoles are supported by the deck.

Slim1074

Cadet
It's a 85 Bayliner capris I've had to replace the floor in between the seats over the gas tank the floor feels good up front

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
You probably have more problems
I would check the stringers...boats rot from the bottom up

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a 85 Bayliner capris I've had to replace the floor in between the seats over the gas tank the floor feels good up front

last thing to rot is the floor. when you were in there, did you take samples of your stringers? most likely those have long since rotted and turn to mush.

Slim1074

Cadet
I have checked my stringers and yes they are rotten mushy water nothing any suggestions about going about replacing them

Scott Danforth

Staff member
start by reading the threads in the hull restoration forums. remove the motor and drive, build a cradle, remove the rub rail and rub rail channel, remove the interior, uncap the boat, fire up the sawsall start cutting the bad out.....

$3k later, you will have a newly rebuilt hull that will last as long as you own it.

Slim1074

Cadet
85 Bayliner Capri Chevrolet 305 engine Frozen bust floor is rotten Interiors gone strangers are gone is it worth saving

jbcurt00

Staff member
Only you can decide if its 'worth' it.

Please avoid posting/asking about your boat/project in other members topics. I deleted you posts in the Thompson SeaRage topic.

You own it, so dig in and tear it down.

Short answer is no, its not worth it, as Scott stated ^^^

Its a mid 80s Bayliner, and always will be, even if you build it back perfect to original (or better) condition. Its likely you'll spend 1X-3X more rehabbing it then you'll be able to sell it for later........

BUT, if you spend 25-4500 rebuilding it, it'll likely be a much better boat then any other similar boat you could buy w the same investment. A 2-5K boat is often going to need a little or a lot of work to be water ready and dependable. Plus instead of 3K all at once, you'll spend it as needed, spread out over months/years.

As before, you already own this 1, so if you like it, dig in.... That will cost you very little to start.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If the motor, 'n drive are solid, it'll make an Ok donor boat,....

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
I agree its not worth it but then again my boat wasnt worth it either
But for under 2k i now have a boat thats better than new and I plan on using it
BUT if i wanted to sell it i would loose money

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If the motor, 'n drive are solid, it'll make an Ok donor boat,....

Bondo, OP states motor is frozen......mid 80s bilgeliner with busted motor is not worth anything except maybe sentimental value

Bondo

Staff member
OP states motor is frozen.....

Ayuh,.... Missed that,..... probably worth $100....Gotta be some salvageable parts,... If ya Need 'em,...