replacing stringers

sa43

Cadet
has anyone ever used redwood lumber for stringer replacement?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not that I am aware of

I recommend to use either exterior grade plywood or marine plywood. properly encapsulate the wood with fiberglass

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nope, Basically it's not structurally strong enuf unless you use a LOT of glass laminations. Stringers rely on one of two things for their strength. One, theI su "Core material is strong and the glass lamination is just enuf to attach it to the boat and seal it from water penetration, or Two, the inner core is "Disposable" and the Glass laminations are multiple and strong. Soooo, I suppose in theory you could use Redwood and cover with multiple lams but....Why??? Ext. Grade Plywood is Soooo much less money and does the job very well.

sa43

Cadet
The only reason I thought of it is because it doesn't rot. I didn't know it wasn't strong enough

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Plywood is the way to go for strength
And like wog said its cheap
My glastron had pine stringers....They should have used plywood

zool

Captain
Redwood is an oily wood so you wont get as good of a resin bond as u would with fir or ext ply's....stringers rot due to failed encapsulation and/or poor maintenance.....if u maintain ur boat after u fix it, you wont need the anti rot properties...

It is used tho, Its been used in some custom wood sailboats ive seen.

sa43

Cadet
Thanks for the advice! one more question. can the fiberglass go on marine plywood as soon as I install it? Keep in mind I am a rookie at this

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the advice! one more question. can the fiberglass go on marine plywood as soon as I install it? Keep in mind I am a rookie at this

Depends on what you use to adhere the stringers to the hull. If you use thickened resin, you can glass over it as soon as it's cured and hard. If you use some other sort of adhesive (e.g., PL Premium), you have to wait a while for it to cure and off-gas -- probably at least 72 hours.

Also you don't have to use marine plywood, which is quite expensive. Any good quality exterior plywood will do the trick.