New here Having transom replacement trouble

nickinfl

Cadet
I bought a 1978 Mirrocraft aluminum that I'm completely redoing. The only problem I'm having is the transom replacement. There is a deck blocking most of my access to the interior bolts to get the wood off. Any suggestions?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Nick.

Mirrocraft made a lot of different models over the years. Can you post some pictures?

After you make 3 posts, pics can be added in your 4th post. Look at the Forum Help in my sig and read about adding photos. Don't use Photobucket to host pics.

nickinfl

Cadet
GA Boater,
​ Thanks I'm getting my posts up so I can post pictures. It looks to be the same as the rear of the boat in your picture.

nickinfl

Cadet
What is this piece?

Does anyone know the name of the piece that comes from the transom and goes about 2 feet into the boat?

roffey

Commander
The captain, lol. sorry.

Not sure, I suspect it depends on what kind, make and type.

alldodge

Staff member
Does anyone know the name of the piece that comes from the transom and goes about 2 feet into the boat?

Need a bit more info, there are several things that come to mind that extend into the boat from the transom. Is it bigger then a bed box, skinny, black, white, purple, plastic, rubber???

Got a pic?

robert graham

Admiral
Without a photo, probably a transom brace....takes the force exerted on the transom by the motor.....my Jon boat has 2 of these braces welded in place

nickinfl

Cadet
No Title

Sorry for the vague question. 1978 Mirrocraft MR Musky.

Attachments

• photo281222.jpg
    photo281222.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281223.jpg
    photo281223.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1

nickinfl

Cadet
How to replace transom?

1978 Mirrocraft Mr Musky. I picked this boat up cheap and have almost everything stripped down. I have a problem with removing the transom. I cant access it from the inside of the boat. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo281222.jpg
    photo281222.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281223.jpg
    photo281223.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281224.jpg
    photo281224.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You have to remove the splashwell by unbolting unriveting or grinding off welds. It's the only way. Don't worry...what ever comes off can be put back on just be as carefull as possible when removing the fasteners

GA_Boater

Nick - I combines your three topics because you are getting advice in all three, which is too confusing.

In you later pics, it looks like it's time to yank the transom wood straight up sand out. Didn't see any hardware still attached that would stop lifting the wood out.

The splashwell does not need to be removed unless you feel like it. Just make all the screws/bolts through the wood are removed. It is possible the ends of the gunnels need to be bent back for the wood to clear can't tell from your pics.

nickinfl

Cadet
GA Boater, There are still bolts going through the transom that I have no access to because the splashwell is in the way. It seems ridiculous to have to remove the entire splashwell to change the transom.

nickinfl

Cadet
No Title

The ones circled. No access from the inside without removing splashwell

Attachments

• photo281232.jpg
    photo281232.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Are the 2 circled some of the ones you can't get out? What is the panel looking thing marked with the X?

mirrocraft.PNG

nickinfl

Cadet
The circled are the ones I can't get out. Two on the other side of the x thing. It's at the bottom of the splash well. I think I might be able to remove then replace it relatively easy.

GA_Boater

Those bolts are for the outer knee braces. Is the panel part of box under the splashwell? You shouldn't have to remove the splashwell if the panel/box can be removed. Our boats are almost identical, except I have no panel or box. Can you back up and take another picture showing the entire inside aft end?