18 FT StarCraft SS couldn't resist

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

This is how I did the foam in my Kingfisher.

That looks great .
I think I'm going to do mine like that . Basically there little wedges tape together that's awesome.
Thank you
Bryon

Attachments

• photo281714.jpg
    photo281714.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That looks great .
I think I'm going to do mine like that . Basically there little wedges tape together that's awesome.
Thank you
Bryon
You're welcome. I like to help when I can. :)

The method I used was to custom cut and fit the foam wedges to fill up each "bay" and then wrap them with aluminum tape. The blue colored sections towards the stern are wrapped in HDPE trash bags which are gasoline proof. The only size available to me at my local HD was 3/4" thick. If you can find the 2" thickness, that would make for a lot less cutting.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You're welcome. I like to help when I can. :)

The method I used was to custom cut and fit the foam wedges to fill up each "bay" and then wrap them with aluminum tape. The blue colored sections towards the stern are wrapped in HDPE trash bags which are gasoline proof. The only size available to me at my local HD was 3/4" thick. If you can find the 2" thickness, that would make for a lot less cutting.

I'm pretty sure our store has the 2 inch .
Also I was wondering if I used spar varnish on the wood . Would my adhesive for my Nautolex vinyl hold to the wood .
Thanks

ab59

Ensign
E260--that would be a question to ask the manufacturer of Nautolex Vinyl . You never know other that buying some and testing it yourself but even at that it may bond now and in a couple of months let the bond go and you will have a problem to deal with. A few words from the horses mouth ( Nautolex ) can save you some head banging later me thinks.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Your SS got lost in the general resto forum or at least I missed it there among the hordes of rotten glassers. :lol:

Once stripped and clean you should to do any hull repairs needed, a close inspection to include the knee brace and leak test. After repairs and through cleaning of the areas Gluvit is to applied which is inside on the seams and keel joint.

If original then I'm not even going to ask about the transom condition and the work on it should come before foam and decking.

Good quality fir exterior grade plywood sealed with spar is the way I go for decking and transom. Decking 1/2" if you add extra supports or 5/8" if you don't. Either way you need to add better ply joint support than SC did with those flimsy joiner strips. Transom 3/4" laminated with Titebond III.

You're a long ways from adding deck covering but Nautolex vinyl is my suggestion and I used 3M 80 adhesive.

Z08-qtfo5oy.JPG

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your SS got lost in the general resto forum or at least I missed it there among the hordes of rotten glassers. :lol:

Once stripped and clean you should to do any hull repairs needed, a close inspection to include the knee brace and leak test. After repairs and through cleaning of the areas Gluvit is to applied which is inside on the seams and keel joint.

If original then I'm not even going to ask about the transom condition and the work on it should come before foam and decking.

Good quality fir exterior grade plywood sealed with spar is the way I go for decking and transom. Decking 1/2" if you add extra supports or 5/8" if you don't. Either way you need to add better ply joint support than SC did with those flimsy joiner strips. Transom 3/4" laminated with Titebond III.

You're a long ways from adding deck covering but Nautolex vinyl is my suggestion and I used 3M 80 adhesive.

Z08-qtfo5oy.JPG

Thanks watermann
Already have the plywood joiners , made them at work aluminum .060 made them 10 inches wide .
Got marine 1/2 inch plywood and spar varnish.
This boat was stored indoors till a year ago when the guy I got it from let it sit out side.
Actually the transom is in good shape , the floor did fall apart by the passenger seat . Not sure why just there the rest wasn't bad .
Just power washed the inside today .
I plan on using Gluvit on the seams .
On my 16 ft I did the undercoating then wire wheeled the seems and use gluvit .
No undercoating will go on this one.
Thanks for the info.
Bryon

Watermann

Does that mean you're not going to replace the transom wood?

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does that mean you're not going to replace the transom wood?

I will next season when I repaint the boat.
I've already did my 16 ft Starcraft so I know I don't have to take the floor out .
If you were to see the condition the transom is in I think you would agree with me .
I know it's not rotted and it's solid believe I checked it really good .
Thanks
Bryon .

Watermann

It's your boat and you can do as you see fit. but I would at least pull every through the transom bolt, probe the holes and if still good then seal the bolts back in with 5200. The factory didn't bother using sealant and normally along the way some owner smeared silly cone around bolt heads.

You didn't post any close ups of the transom but the pics you did post show dark colored transom wood. That strip of super dark color on the lower port side would concern me greatly as being the beginning of delamination and rot.

fetch

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Starting to put foam in . Also mounted new bilge pump and live well pump .
also I pressure washed the transom and found it was stained , I got most of the stain off . No delamination or rotted wood .
Gonna keep plugging away today at it .
Bryon

Attachments

• photo282486.jpg
    photo282486.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282502.jpg
    photo282502.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo282503.jpg
    photo282503.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 0