18 FT StarCraft SS couldn't resist

82rude

Rear Admiral
When i did my 160 ss the wiring was a dogs breakfast,the best and only way to fix was to grab the wiring in my hand and rip every last piece of wire out.Start with a totally clean slate and wire it as you chose and correctly.May i suggest led bow lights embedded in the bowrail they look great and can be seen for miles and are fairly cheap.I got 4 sets of red and green strips for around 6 bucks.I believe there maybe some pics in my resto thread from the summer.http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...0441574-just-one-of-many-ss-160-redo-s/page11

Last edited:

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When i did my 160 ss the wiring was a dogs breakfast,the best and only way to fix was to grab the wiring in my hand and rip every last piece of wire out.Start with a totally clean slate and wire it as you chose and correctly.May i suggest led bow lights embedded in the bowrail they look great and can be seen for miles and are fairly cheap.I got 4 sets of red and green strips for around 6 bucks.I believe there maybe some pics in my resto thread from the summer.http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...0441574-just-one-of-many-ss-160-redo-s/page11

The bow lights look great.
That gives me some ideas .

And I will watch that you tube video also.
Thank you
Bryon

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I think I'm leaning towards the Nautolex marine vinyl flooring.
Has anyone used it or have any idea if it's a good flooring.
Thanks
Bryon

I used on my resto and easy to install. I wrapped each section and screwed in from the top in hindsight I should have put over entire floor as a cover. The product has been around for years so no worry there. I didn't buy their high dollar adhesive I used stuff form HD for felt backed vinyl. 2 seasons no issues

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I used on my resto and easy to install. I wrapped each section and screwed in from the top in hindsight I should have put over entire floor as a cover. The product has been around for years so no worry there. I didn't buy their high dollar adhesive I used stuff form HD for felt backed vinyl. 2 seasons no issues

Thank you .
Do you remember the brand of adhesive from home Depot that you used .
Thank you .
Bryon

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I think I'm leaning towards the Nautolex marine vinyl flooring.
Has anyone used it or have any idea if it's a good flooring.

I put Nautolex in mine. I absolutely love it. Easy to care for and tough as nails. I used the (unfortunately expensive) Nautolex adhesive which worked well. I ran out about 90% of the way through the job and finished vinyl-ing one of my side pockets using the Roberts outdoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot. The good news is that worked really well and stuck really well. However the bad news is after a number of years, I'm starting to see some discoloration coming through the vinyl in that pocket. So I have to recommend you use the Nautolex adhesive. It's expensive but worth it. Contact cement would be another alternative but I again I would fear the eventual discoloration.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I put Nautolex in mine. I absolutely love it. Easy to care for and tough as nails. I used the (unfortunately expensive) Nautolex adhesive which worked well. I ran out about 90% of the way through the job and finished vinyl-ing one of my side pockets using the Roberts outdoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot. The good news is that worked really well and stuck really well. However the bad news is after a number of years, I'm starting to see some discoloration coming through the vinyl in that pocket. So I have to recommend you use the Nautolex adhesive. It's expensive but worth it. Contact cement would be another alternative but I again I would fear the eventual discoloration.

Thank you .
I have read about using the 3M contact adhesive ,
But I think I would prefer a slower drying glue like the nautolex glue.
Thanks for the info.
Bryon

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay I know this has been talked about alot ,
I am replacing my floor and I will be using 3/4 plywood
Here's the question. Regular roofing plywood or marine grade.
I will be putting the nautolex vinyl flooring on it .
Just need to know the pros and cons here.
This boat will only be used 10 to 15 times a summer here in Ohio. And it will be stored indoors all the time .
Thank you
Bryon

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cost, availabily

yes seal. A few methods that I'll defer to other on the details.

ab59

Ensign
E260---- I replaced the deck in my 1988 201ss at the summers beginning and found that the Marine ply that they had used at the factory had held up remarkably well for being 29 years old. This is the reason I spent the extra money for Marine 3/4 " when I replaced it. I did use some exterior up front but I fiber-glassed it with cloth and half gallon of resin since I figured that would get wet more that the rest of the boat. If you are restoring the boat for yourself and plan on keeping it for 10 years or so and money is not real tight , I would go with the Marine ply.
If your on a budget get some good quality exterior ply and give it a generous coating of Spar or the like , top and bottom and you should be good to go for a few years but don't expect it to last as long as the Marine grade.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
E260---- I replaced the deck in my 1988 201ss at the summers beginning and found that the Marine ply that they had used at the factory had held up remarkably well for being 29 years old. This is the reason I spent the extra money for Marine 3/4 " when I replaced it. I did use some exterior up front but I fiber-glassed it with cloth and half gallon of resin since I figured that would get wet more that the rest of the boat. If you are restoring the boat for yourself and plan on keeping it for 10 years or so and money is not real tight , I would go with the Marine ply.
If your on a budget get some good quality exterior ply and give it a generous coating of Spar or the like , top and bottom and you should be good to go for a few years but don't expect it to last as long as the Marine grade.

Thank you .
Gonna take floor out tommorow and the foam and see how everything looks .

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Well I finnaly got some time to work on the boat .
Got the floor tore out and will get the foam out tommorow. The smell is terrible,
Gonna get new foam and put in .
I can't believe how good the aluminum looks inside I am sure the floor was original .
Bryon

Attachments

• photo281649.jpg
    photo281649.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281650.jpg
    photo281650.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281651.jpg
    photo281651.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281652.jpg
    photo281652.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 0

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Okay foam is all out now , ang ready to get pressure washed .
I really happy with this boat no dings or dents under the floor it's really clean . Can't wait to start putting it back together.
Bryon

Attachments

• photo281713.jpg
    photo281713.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281714.jpg
    photo281714.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo281715.jpg
    photo281715.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281716.jpg
    photo281716.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281717.jpg
    photo281717.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
Looks great , what kind of foam are you going back with , pour or stick ? My boat had pour in foam that was not damaged , waterlogged or stinking to high heaven so I got lucky. I did rout out some drain channels though as the pour in foam had a tendency to dam up the water between the globs.

Mopie

Cadet
Just a vote for marine plywood. Check sources and make your decision. The cost delta may not be great. Marine ply is a truer product to work with having fewer defects, voids, and less warping. You know what you got.
At least check. Either should be coated/sealed with resin or epoxy. Seal any voids carefully. The religion is making yourself properly seal every screw and bolt or cut you put into floor, for ever.
Carpet is not my thing. It stays wet forever. It seems to me to be a nusiance. A good vinyl may be ok. I would use whatever installation process recommended by mfg.
Might consider keeping a detailed parts, materials list for this project for the time you sell it. I would give some value to that list if I were buying it.

Two part Pour in foam is a mess, but it will dampen some of the noises of the aluminum boat. Preparation is the key. Once mixed it is a sudden project. Plan! You might even mix a little and practice in a small box! Buy good rubber gloves.
Your boat looks good and seems to have good bones.

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks great , what kind of foam are you going back with , pour or stick ? My boat had pour in foam that was not damaged , waterlogged or stinking to high heaven so I got lucky. I did rout out some drain channels though as the pour in foam had a tendency to dam up the water between the globs.

Hi .
I'm going to get sheets of foam and cut it to fit . I have a foam cutter from building planes so that works out good .
First I'm gonna pressure wash it and check for any leaks then I will start the foam .
Bryon

E260

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just a vote for marine plywood. Check sources and make your decision. The cost delta may not be great. Marine ply is a truer product to work with having fewer defects, voids, and less warping. You know what you got.
At least check. Either should be coated/sealed with resin or epoxy. Seal any voids carefully. The religion is making yourself properly seal every screw and bolt or cut you put into floor, for ever.
Carpet is not my thing. It stays wet forever. It seems to me to be a nusiance. A good vinyl may be ok. I would use whatever installation process recommended by mfg.
Might consider keeping a detailed parts, materials list for this project for the time you sell it. I would give some value to that list if I were buying it.

Two part Pour in foam is a mess, but it will dampen some of the noises of the aluminum boat. Preparation is the key. Once mixed it is a sudden project. Plan! You might even mix a little and practice in a small box! Buy good rubber gloves.
Your boat looks good and seems to have good bones.

Hello .
Going to use sheet foam and cut it to fit.
Also I have looked into marine ply .
I have to look at how much am I going to use my boat.
I figure 15 times a summer , 5 catfish tournament's and some play time . It will always be stored indoors .
This floor is 38 years old I'm not sure it was marine ply or not.
My question is if I use spar varnish or some other type of sealer , will the vinyl adhesive stick well to the sealed floor , I think most sealers probably have some sort of oil in them .
Thank you