Flotation material question for Sears Gamefisher boat

Lonnie1262

Recruit
Hi Folks,

Going to look at a Sears Gamefisher boat tomorrow morning. It is a 14 foot, fiberglass, tri-hull, jon boat, possibly made in the 1980's. Wondering if they put flotation material within the benches or the hull of these old boats. Would really like to have this boat. But won't buy it until I know if it has flotation material within. Thank you,

Lonnie

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the forum. Saw you other post do be careful posting on threads older than 3 or so month. We try to keep things current

i had a 12' not a tri hull and yes it was filled under the benches. We, as kids then, used to pull the plug and play. Never sank. Of couse no motor on it when we did that.

tpenfield

Staff member
I had a Gamefisher as a kid . . . I think it was 14' but maybe 12' . . . It was a fairly flat hull at the stern with a few steps/strakes and a 'V' shaped bow. Injection molded fiberglass . . .

My recollection was that the seats (fully enclosed benches) were nothing but air within for the flotation, as there were no signs of access holes for the expanding foam.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ok i cannot sat for sure foam but if you play with a half sunk boat for a day with2 to 4 boys and it alwayspopped back up my guess is yes it did have foam.

Ned L

Commander
Ok i cannot sat for sure foam but if you play with a half sunk boat for a day with2 to 4 boys and it alwayspopped back up my guess is yes it did have foam.

So I'm not the only one who used to do that. In addition to a lot of fun that was a real good learning experience. It teaches you how to right a boat, how sluggish they are to roll back over and if you rush things they just continue on and end up upside down again, how to get in and out of a swamped boat, how unstable they are when swamped, not to be afraid or panic about swimming around and under them (going up in the air pockets under them for a while, and most importantly to just have fun as a kid.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yep, all of that including flipping back up right as best you can then getting in and bailing with your hands.