Repaint Mercury Cowling

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like to paint the cowling on my 1987 Mercury outboard. Its the two part split cowling. (Not the exact one as the attached image. I didn't have one of mine but pic shows what I am asking about.) My question is about the black leather like rough area. Not sure what that is exactly made of and how to deal with it for painting. Does it peel off or need to be scraped off ? Or Just prime and paint over it. ? All the videos I seen redoing the cowlings are mostly Yamaha's and they just have decals. Thanks.

Attachments

• merc cover.jpg
    merc cover.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
Clean it with thinner and a brush. Rattle can it with rustolium satin black.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Peal the decal off the sides....paint as needed.... Buy new decals.....FWIW, the dull black, stripes, etc is all one decal

tpenfield

Staff member
Make sure that you are sitting down when you look up the prices of the decal sets :eek:

If the decal and matte finish areas are in good shape, you could just mask those area off and paint what is needed. . . :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
FWIW, I would only grab a polishing cloth and some wax. the cowl looks great compared to a bunch of others I have seen

tpenfield

Staff member
I believe the OP said that the ones in the pic are not his but ones that look just like them. I would imagine that his actual cowl must be in more need of painting :noidea:

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
He is actually not talking about the decals at all, the the "faux leather" treatment. This appears to be a thick vinyl layer that uses a decal cement to attach to the cowling. (In the image below the areas outlined in pink) It gets very dull looking and if you paint the cowl it will look very out of place and worn on a shiny new surface. I think Chevymaher's suggestion might do the trick... "Clean it with thinner and a brush. Rattle can it with rustolium satin black."

I too want to dress up my cowling.

G3Qn0LZ.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the whole thing, the fake leather looking stuff, etc is all a decal.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
RenderWurx that is what mine look like. And yes the pink area is what I was talking about. I am tempted to just try to peel them off and do something else there.
I am not putting the the Mercury decals back. I do vinyl so will cut my own but being somewhat demented in the mind I am going to put something off the wall. Like Nuke Powered or some crap. Just not sure yet. Getting the decals off has been a pain. I used a heat gun and scraper but man whatever adhesive they use fricken worked good. THanks all.

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If a fellow could find some thinner material, it would be sweet looking to put diamond plate in that space... :p

I too have a vinyl cutter and would likely rebuild the logos up form scratch. I may try to rejuvenate the faux leather part and replace just the logos.

chevymaher

Commander
If a fellow could find some thinner material, it would be sweet looking to put diamond plate in that space... :p

I too have a vinyl cutter and would likely rebuild the logos up form scratch. I may try to rejuvenate the faux leather part and replace just the logos.
Try putting the Ardex Ocean Polymer wax on it. That stuff is amazing. Returns color to things. I use it on everything not just the boat now.

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try putting the Ardex Ocean Polymer wax on it. That stuff is amazing. Returns color to things. I use it on everything not just the boat now.

Thanks for the heads up... will check it out. Not cheap, but if it's really that great...

chevymaher

Commander
It is worth every penny to. It doesn't take alot so it goes a long long way. All my cars have it on them now.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have some diamond plate vinyl. Might have to give that a look see.