Replacing the transom.

Rsb1970

Seaman
Getting ready to replace the transom on my 16 ft boat. Never done this before. When I take the top aluminum plate off should the old transom come right out? And I?ve read about people taking the rivets out. Do these rivets in back of boat need to be removed first? I don?t know if they go through the transom. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo279453.png
    photo279453.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279454.png
    photo279454.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo284134.png
    photo284134.png
    875.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo284136.png
    photo284136.png
    809.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo284137.png
    photo284137.png
    913.6 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
How about we start w what boat?

Pix of the transom, not so close as your rivet pix.....

Aluminum boat?

Splashwell often has to come out to make transom plywood removal easier (or even possible depending on how boat was built)..... Other stuff may need.to come out/off too, again depending on what boat..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Those 'Rivets' might be Carriage Bolts, check inside in the bilge

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Each boat is going to have differing screws/bolts/rivets that in some way enter/traverse the transom. (Especially if POs have done their own thing)

Here is a pic of mine prior to splashwell removal. The pink areas are where screws entered the transom to hold the splashwell in place (they did not pass thru)

The red areas show the bolts that passed through completely...one was for the brace, the other is the tie down u bolts. You will find a variety of bolts/screws/rivets going through form the outside that held transducers, brackets, etc.

Basically if it looks like it enters wood... it must come out. From there you can drill pilot holes and attach lag screws/eyebolts to use as pull points. Or if you are lucky, you might make some progress using a crow bar and getting in from the sides.

74Njidr.jpg

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a shot of mine out. Note upper left where I had to bend the gunwhale cap back a little to make room for transom to come out. It was easier to do this than remove a bunch of rivets... especially since this area is hidden under the corner caps. The inside aluminum skin over the transom comes out on most models...

Ad mentioned, it is infinitely easier to work on the transom with the splashwell removed.

YNzDHq6.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, but thats ^^^ how a Bluefin was built, a Crestliner might be slightly (or greatly) different.

Rsb1970

Seaman
No Title

It is a 1987 crestliner. Here is some more pics. I?m assuming that those rivets or bolts do go though the transom to the support brackets? When I take those out do I put bolts back in or what ?

Attachments

• photo279479.png
    photo279479.png
    973.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279480.png
    photo279480.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo279481.png
    photo279481.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Rsb1970

Seaman
No Title

Could I put a piece of wood right here to make transom a little stronger until I can fix it right this winter?

Attachments

• photo279570.png
    photo279570.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

It is up to you if you want to roll the dice. If they come up snake eyes tho.

To me it wasn't worth the risk. I immediately tore into mine.

You know something is wrong now. But you never know how bad it is till you open it up.

Attachments

• photo279587.jpg
    photo279587.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0

Rsb1970

Seaman
Help with transom rebuild

I got my transom cut out and was test fitting it. When I took old transom out it was falling apart. So not sure how it goes back together. I thought the transom went back in in one piece but I think when I took it out the two top side pieces were cut. That straight metal piece sits on top of transom and then the top pieces sit on top of that straight metal bar. So is that the way I need to do it or leave the straight metal bar out? It seems to me that the transom would be stronger if left in one piece. I’m new to this and I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member
.... So not sure how it goes back together. I thought the transom went back in in one piece but I think when I took it out the two top side pieces were cut. That straight metal piece sits on top of transom and then the top pieces sit on top of that straight metal bar....

From the pix you posted originally, thats not how it looks.... look at the pix in post #7.

No idea where that metal angle was, but it doesnt look like aluminum. If it isnt, it probably didnt come from the factory...

WHAT boat? Make/Model?

Rsb1970

Seaman
The boat is a 1987 crestliner commander 16W. And no the metal bar is not aluminum. The transom was cut at the red line in photo on both sides then the metal bar on top and then the pieces cut off on top of bar. Then the top cap put on. So I don’t need to put the metal bar back in?

Attachments

• photo284193.jpg
    photo284193.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Post a pix of the inside of the transom skin

did you take out the splashwell?

transom seems awful short.

I doubt Crestliner used a non-aluminim bar

prior owner tried to bandaid a weak transom, didnt know what they were doing or wanted to overpower the boat and added a bar. Possibly all 3

W out seeing bare inside of the transom, w out splashwell, hard to make informed suggestions

But absolutely dont put that bar back in or cut the top 'wings' or 'ears' off the top of your ply transom.