Bayliner Capri, here we go again

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
So i have acquired a 1987 17 foot Bayliner Capri with an original 1987 calkins trailer. The people selling wanted 800 for it but i was able to buy it for 400. The trailer alone is worth that. I will post better pictures soon, I have to go refresh myself on the posting rules and how to post pictures as it has been quite a while since my last project. The nice part about this project is there is no more question about space to do my project as my shop just got the concrete floor poured so i will be able to do a project in there no problem. Give me a few minutes to read up the rules and post some pictures.

Last edited:

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

As you can see in the photos, lots of upholstery work to be done. Thankfully I have a walking foot sewing machine and I will be posting a few videos of my learning process in reupholstering these seats and panels.

Attachments

• photo279072.png
    photo279072.png
    756.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279073.png
    photo279073.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo279074.png
    photo279074.png
    733.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279075.png
    photo279075.png
    706.3 KB · Views: 0

chevymaher

Commander
I went through your other thread. This one is the right one. All your ducks are in order this time.

tpenfield

Staff member
After seeing the pictures, I'm having a severe case of garage envy :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It sure is a nice garage. Add some insulation, a bathroom, kitchen ....I'd never come back in the house. Oh yea nice boat. Looks like fun!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone. Yes the ducks are all aligned i plan to splash it early spring, I already anticipate some floor repair (just from the age of the boat) but that will all be found out shortly. I am working on a smaller 4hp evinrude that i hope to fix up today but after I'm done with that I will update the thread with the proper information on the boat.
My plan for early next week is to have all the components out (seats, panels) and i would like to take a closer look at the outboard to see if the problem is as simple as a new bulb & fuel line. Will update with pictures tonight.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
DRS4164 the concrete floor was poured on 10/4, i pulled the boat in on 10/9. I figured putting the piece of wood under it would help spread whatever load it had on that tiny wheel to prevent it from indenting my new floor. I was told to wait a few days before being able to put anything on the new floor but just being overly cautious i guess.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
DRS4164 the concrete floor was poured on 10/4, i pulled the boat in on 10/9. I figured putting the piece of wood under it would help spread whatever load it had on that tiny wheel to prevent it from indenting my new floor. I was told to wait a few days before being able to put anything on the new floor but just being overly cautious i guess.

I see your point. You don't need any depressions in your new floor.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
So i started demo today. I didnt mean to it just happened. I pulled all of the side panels off, and all of the seats out and most of the floor carpet out, I can feel soft spots in the floor. Is it recommended to replace the whole floor or do spot replacements?

I am deciding what i will be doing as far as floor goes as well, should i re-carpet it? or use the boat floor paint stuff i have seen on some builds..

This will be one heck of a build, I am ready for it, It looks like there is a lot less foam area on this boat than my last, so the trouble will be getting the floor cut out and removed and everything sanded. Will definately be an itchy winter for sure :)

I will post some pictures tonight or tomorrow, I am still debating going out there and getting an idea of what I need done to it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Bayliner . . . soft floor . . . usually means you will be cutting things out down to the keel and building it back up.

Most likely not a spot repair, so pull up the floor and see what lurks below.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
yeah i figured as much. Will be doing that next once i get all the mechanics off the boat so i can work with it easier

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use ratchet straps to hoist the cap to the rafters.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Scott that's actually a good idea Thanks. My other question would be is does the cap necessarily need to be removed? I will post pictures when I get home tonight but to me it seems to me once the hardware is removed (console etc) there would be plenty of space to redo the floor with cap attached.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Guaranteed removibg the cap and building a cradle for the hull will be required. You have a rotten bayliner that needs a full gut and restore

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott. Wife had other things planned for me to do tonight so I will be out tomorrow morning finishing the teardown to get a better idea what I am working with. I will enjoy the project regardless, this year i have 2 friends who said they want to help, hehe they have no idea what they agreed to.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

so far getting the carpet pulled up. more progress tomorrow

Attachments

• photo279337.jpg
    photo279337.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279338.jpg
    photo279338.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279339.jpg
    photo279339.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
sorry hasnt been an update in a few days, an old hematoma got infected so i have been experiencing what i thought was a heart attack... pretty weird. Antibiotics kicked in, im feeling better, will be making an outboard stand from one of the posts on this forum tomorrow so i can pull the outdrive.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Got the motor off the boat and onto on the stand :) thanks to dh4winn79's original post on building the OB motor Stand. (Thanks for providing the PDF files as well) Next step will be removing the rest of the mechanical components. but i am sort of partial to putting a tarp over the boat and put a few bug bombs in there. The boat came from eastern Washington where i think black widows are known to live, but i ran into a small hive of hornets that were "sleeping?" they were moving around but not flying... so I am going to do that first before sticking my hand to hold bolts and stuff where i cant see. (that or wear gloves)

Attachments

• photo279641.jpg
    photo279641.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 0

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Boat electrical steering and everything removed. Left with shell, next step is to cut the boat seat pedestals out as well as the rear boat seat pads.

Attachments

• photo280037.jpg
    photo280037.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280038.jpg
    photo280038.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0