Need input on wetting down fiberglass

calvinbabb

Cadet
I have gutted my boat and about to tear the transom apart, replace bulkhead where the old inboard was, replacing the floor, and building hull rails to add strength cause i removed the upper hull permanently. I need to figue out the best way to wetdown matting as i lay it. can i wet down the part that will be coated , lay the glass and then wet the mat? What is the best way and have time to far working time before the resins start to set? This is the first large project I've done.

chevymaher

Commander
Roll the resin where the chopped strand or cloth is going. Put it down on the wet surface. Then pour some on it and spread it with the roller till it is clear. Done perfect job.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
search youtube for friscoboater (fellow iboater). he has a crap-ton of vids showing what you need

I myself pour and spread with a plastic squeegee, then roll as needed. sometimes I use a brush

you are going to make a lot of trophies (sculptures with half a bucket of resin with a brush hanging out of it). they pull right out of the plastic buckets

calvinbabb

Cadet
search youtube for friscoboater (fellow iboater). he has a crap-ton of vids showing what you need

I myself pour and spread with a plastic squeegee, then roll as needed. sometimes I use a brush

you are going to make a lot of trophies (sculptures with half a bucket of resin with a brush hanging out of it). they pull right out of the plastic buckets

Yea, i was wandering bout trophies. LOL. the resin i have is the same that i used to do clear coat on bar counters. it does give me a little more time but only about 15 minutes before it starts to kick. for the floor i should use 1 or two layers of glass?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You should be using boat builders resin or layup resin so you dont need to sand between layers

For the floor, over your tabbing, 2 layers of csm for bonding, a layer of 1708 for strength, and a top layer of csm. Fair as needed

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Do NOT use Bar top Resin for your boat I WILL not do the job I'd highly recommend using Polyester laminateing Resin Less expensive and easier to apply You ALWAYS need to coat the wood first with resin, let it tack up then apply another coat and immediately lay down your CSM applyonyonly enough to make it go clear First timers ALWAYS use to much resin and that's just as bad as not using enuf

Last edited:

calvinbabb

Cadet
Do NOT use Bar top Resin for your boat I WILL not do the job I'd highly recommend using Polyester laminateing Resin Less expensive and easier to apply You ALWAYS need to coat the wood first with resin, let it tack up then apply another coat and immediately lay down your CSM applyonyonly enough to make it go clear First timers ALWAYS use to much resin and that's just as bad as not using enuf

Thank you for that. wasn't sure and the local hack shop made the remark that resin is resin. so tells me I don't need them to do work for me.