Need to mount a new fuse block to...something

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to mount a new fuse block to...something

42-year-old aluminum Starcraft. My new 12-circuit blade fuse block with integrated negative bus arrives in the mail today and I'm so stoked to finally clean up the wiring mess. Currently there's a small glass fuse panel with a spaghetti wad of wires, doubled-up negative connections, etc.

My first challenge, though, will be to mount the new fuse block onto something under the dash. It's much bigger than the existing fuse block & neg. bus, which are attached to what looks like a short piece of white plastic or plexiglass. I'd rather not drill/screw/rivet into any aluminum under the dash. Thinking of gluing a piece of wood or something under there, possibly to the inside of the hull and mounting the fuse block onto that.

Any suggestions for a mounting solution?

Use something like 3M's "High Strength Filler" or mix up your own from resin and microfibers like Cabosil.
    Seal the plywood with resin first.

Comment

I've used PC-11 two-part epoxy to attach mounting plates. You can get the stuff at ACE Hardware.
      Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by JASinIL2006 View Post
        I've used PC-11 two-part epoxy to attach mounting plates. You can get the stuff at ACE Hardware.

Good idea there. No problem with that stuff sticking wood to aluminum?

Comment

PC-11 will adhere well to aluminum as long as it's sanded a bit and cleaned with ****e vinegar I'd just buy the cheap 5 minute Epoxy and thicken it with baby powder so it's like mayonnaisesnd secure with tape In 10 mins it'll be ready to go
          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
            PC-11 will adhere well to aluminum as long as it's sanded a bit and cleaned with ****e vinegar I'd just buy the cheap 5 minute Epoxy and thicken it with baby powder so it's like mayonnaisesnd secure with tape In 10 mins it'll be ready to go
            WOG - How do you spell white vinegar? LOL

DJ - could you mount the new block on the backside of the port dash? But then the wiring has to be routed from port to starboard, so not the best way.

On the side aluminum panel of the starboard or on the panel between the cockpit and bow seating area. Thinking of ease of access if or when a fuse blows.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	djsdash.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	278529

Click image for larger version

Name:	djsdash2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	278530

BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post

WOG - How do you spell white vinegar? LOL

DJ - could you mount the new block on the backside of the port dash? But then the wiring has to be routed from port to starboard, so not the best way.

On the side aluminum panel of the starboard or on the panel between the cockpit and bow seating area. Thinking of ease of access if or when a fuse blows.
              Both good ideas, Don. I'll try my darndest to keep the new block in the same neighborhood as the existing mess: about knee-height, attached to a small plank of something on the starboard hull. I got some quality epoxy and my thought is to stick the new fuse block onto the same material. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get creative.

Thanks.

Comment

You could also skip wood and get a cheap plastic cutting board and never have to worry about rot/sealing. And could save some for a transducer plate or other mounting needs.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-...UaAttIEALw_wcB

Comment

Hey my phone don't type so good Me I'm perfect just ask my wife😜😜😜😇
                  1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                  Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                  Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Renderwurx View Post
                    You could also skip wood and get a cheap plastic cutting board and never have to worry about rot/sealing. And could save some for a transducer plate or other mounting needs.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-...UaAttIEALw_wcB

Can you put a wood screw into that stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_Allatoona View Post

Can you put a wood screw into that stuff?
                      You can. The trick may be finding an adhesive that will hold .the plastic to the boat. Slippery stuff.
                      Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by JASinIL2006 View Post

You can. The trick may be finding an adhesive that will hold .the plastic to the boat. Slippery stuff.

I got myself some PC-11 epoxy. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Comment

Hey Don. I wound up attaching it behind the wooden dash on the port side. Plenty of space and out of the way. As long as I was on my back and had a million zip ties, I went ahead and chopped out a few hundred years' worth of redundant wiring, re-strung all new wires from the battery to the new fuse block, added inline fuses, and hid all the spaghetti in flexible conduit under the front seats. Took a right long time, but the clean look is worth it, and I'm pretty sure I'm safer with the modern fuse block. Just in time for winter! haha.

Comment

Now you don't have a winter project!

Is the USB/switch block on the port dash too? Haven't checked the other thread yet.
                            BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                            That is what the forums are for.
                            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Now you don't have a winter project!

Is the USB/switch block on the port dash too? Haven't checked the other thread yet.

Yes. And apart from the blue voltmeter numbers being too dim to easily read in the bright sun, it works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X