best older deep V aluminum hulls 15' or less for conversion project?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I'm looking for suggestions on what you guys think the best aluminum hulls are for customizing into versatile fishing boats?
For instance, I'd like a Starcraft SS160, but I cant get one in my garage. I can fit a 14' and possibly a 15' but not a 16 with a motor on it.

What I'd like is a smaller version of the SS160, or a 14/15 with a side console. I've debated whether to cut up a 14 or 15' runabout, but I don't know if those hulls are deep and wide enough. My 12' conversion is fine for small lakes and electric motor (sitting), but I want to cover bigger lakes on gas and a bow mount for trolling, with full walkabout capability for 2 people.

Any thoughts on whether I can achieve this with an older 14 or 15' hull? Or should I just go with an SS160 and store it outside? (I can store it outside, its just nice to leave my gear in it and roll it all away in a secure garage at the end of the day)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How deep is the garage? A trailer swing tongue is made to shorten the rig to fit in a garage.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
True, I had to put one of those on my 14 1/2 foot plywood runabout. I find it tight to squeeze past the motor at the back of the garage. My garage is 21 feet deep but it has cabinets, a large bench and woodwork equipment on all three sides, so I am essentially left with about 18 feet deep by 8 feet wide, save for a few nooks and crannies here and there.

I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether I can create a decent version of the SS160 (or single console) in a 14 foot boat and if would be adequate for both my intended use and my storage availability.

Last edited:

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
I doubt you will find anything much that qualifies as "deep v" in a boat that small. We had a 14 foot Alumacraft Lunker that was a decent little boat. It had a flat floor and live well etc but was run with a tiller motor. Don't know if they had side console for those or not. It was pretty flat bottomed at the back of the boat so it did not handle rough water all that well. We swapped it for a 16 foot Alumacraft Dominator side console. It is more v'd at the back of the hull and handles rough water much better. Still not a true deep V but not flat like the smaller boat. It is good for 2 to fish from but 3 is a crowd. We have an electric bow mount trolling motor. We are currently looking to swap the 16 footer for an 18 to 20 foot aluminum boat with an open bow and walk through windshield. I would think you are going to want at least a 16 foot given what you have said. Could you build on to your garage and make it a bit bigger? I used to walk around in an older neighborhood where it was not uncommon to see small bump outs on the ends of garages. I assume that during the era of large cars, the old garages just were not long enough,

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sylvan makes a quality aluminum deep v... I had one I bought already converted years ago.... they have had several type models... Google 14' Sylvan Deep V... here is one I found out there.

1Mr1p77.jpg