1986 Bayliner Capri 1600 BR

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
The transom is solid. There is no rot to be found in it, and talked with the previous owner the current transom wood was replaced before he put the motor on it at the boat shop. Went to the boat shop yesterday and it was verified the transom wood was replaced earlier this year so we are all good to go there. I started doing some cleaning on the hill and it's cleaning up very nicely. The seats in the bow I have to take them in next week so they can start fixing those for me. They are going to put new foam and material on them. At some point in time there was a problem with mice that borrowed in the storage areas up in the bow and destroyed the seats. I'll post pictures of that in a little bit.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a call from the boat shop today. The stator on the motor has to be replaced. The navigation light up from on the bow is bad (bulbs blown). They replaced the bulbs and the wiring is bad on it. The horn also doesn't work which I knew it was bad. Told them not to replace that because I already ordered a new one off of iboats. I also ordered a navigation light off iboats as well. They are just going to run the new wires for me.

Now this one I need an opinion for. Back where the portable fuel tank sits what about putting a permanent tank in there and putting the full port on the side of the boat or just leave it as a portable. I think I can get a 12 gallon permanent tank to fit in there, but I'm not sure on the exact measurements as I haven't measured it just yet.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My Bayliner capri had a small 14 gallon tank mounted under the splash pan. The fill port was on rear of the boat on the SB side of the motor. The tank was aluminum and much better than a portable. With a 140, you're gonna want a decent size tank. I hated the idea of a portable tank in that style of boat.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't like the portable tank. How much water time do you think I'd be able to get off of a 12 gallon tank?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I don't like the portable tank. How much water time do you think I'd be able to get off of a 12 gallon tank?

That's a question that can't really be answered by anyone but you. It depends on how much you like your throttle. 140 hp johnsons drink fuel pretty fast. 12 gallons will go quick if you're in the throttle. I think I would get roughly 50 miles or better out of a tank on my 90hp. Way less if I was pulling or running WOT. 50 miles is a guess based on the mile markers on a lake I run.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Even with a BrandNew transom, 140 hp is NOT advisable on your boat!! The added Weight and the torque it will generate will be too much for the boat. You WILL have major planing and handling issues.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a question that can't really be answered by anyone but you. It depends on how much you like your throttle. 140 hp johnsons drink fuel pretty fast. 12 gallons will go quick if you're in the throttle. I think I would get roughly 50 miles or better out of a tank on my 90hp. Way less if I was pulling or running WOT. 50 miles is a guess based on the mile markers on a lake I run.

The lake I go out on has a 30mph speed limit and they are way beyond strict on it to.

I'm looking at smaller motors to, but right now the money is there to buy one at the moment.

Last edited:

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Even with a BrandNew transom, 140 hp is NOT advisable on your boat!! The added Weight and the torque it will generate will be too much for the boat. You WILL have major planing and handling issues.

I ordered a 1992 force 90hp outboard with a 20" shaft off eBay. It was 1500 and come with all the controls and the tilt.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Gonna get folksvtelling you are an idiot for getting a force. I'm not gonna, if the price was right and you have basic skills. Easy motor to work on andvparts are still out there even on a motor not made in the last 20 years. Sell the 140 and go from there.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gonna get folksvtelling you are an idiot for getting a force. I'm not gonna, if the price was right and you have basic skills. Easy motor to work on andvparts are still out there even on a motor not made in the last 20 years. Sell the 140 and go from there.

That force was the best deal I found at the time to match what I was able to pay. Eventually I could work it up to a mercury like I would like to do but for right now the boat is only a once in a while toy. Just bought a semi so that?s my main focus at this point. I?m only home 3 days a month so the boat won?t be getting much use at the moment. I?ll probably put the Johnson up on eBay for sale within the next month or so and go from there with it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cool, you drive a truck and sounds like you can turn a wrench. I didn't ever drive a truck but traveled extensively in the SE region of the country and heres how I bought too much stuff....

Just keep an eye CL for on wherever you are headed. Find junk ones same model and buy them way cheap and have a few spares sitting around for parts. Buy 1-2 with good power heads, 1-2 with good lowers but blown up top, etc. I many parts on diff sizes of those are interchangeable. Start a thread in the Force forum and ask the experts there.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
cool, you drive a truck and sounds like you can turn a wrench. I didn't ever drive a truck but traveled extensively in the SE region of the country and heres how I bought too much stuff....

Just keep an eye CL for on wherever you are headed. Find junk ones same model and buy them way cheap and have a few spares sitting around for parts. Buy 1-2 with good power heads, 1-2 with good lowers but blown up top, etc. I many parts on diff sizes of those are interchangeable. Start a thread in the Force forum and ask the experts there.

I?ve been keeping an eye on Craigslist the past week, and there?s a Chrysler motor 85hp in Indianapolis for sale for $400. I contacted the person selling the motor, and he said the motor runs great has all the controls for it. It?s a manual tilt which sucks, but that?s alright to. So he said he?d take the motor to work with him tomorrow and he works at a place I?ve delivered freight to before, and if I like the motor I?m going to buy it and strap it to my flatbed and take it home. I?m not big on Chrysler motors, but I got a actual project boat I?m possibly buying so I?ll use that motor as a test motor on the boat. It has a 150hp mercury on it right now, but the top has bad compression on one side so fix that eventually and go from there with it. I?m going to start looking around the country for boat parts, motors, etc.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well got a call from the boat shop today. The motor that?s on this boat has some issues but is currently being fixed. After I get the boat back from the boat shop the motor will be moved over to the bumble bee fishing boat and I?ll be working on finding a new motor for this boat.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
It’s been a while since I’ve posted about the bayliner, but it is back from the boat shop. The 140hp motor had to have a little work done to it. Cost just under $900 to fix everything. I have taken the boat on the water a couple of times with the 140 just went really easy on the throttle got the boat to approximately 25mph. The boat shop has a Johnson 85hp they are rebuilding right now and will sell it to me when they are done with the rebuild. Then the 140hp will either be stored for another boat or sold. That one haven’t decided on just yet. I’ll post some pictures of the boat this weekend since there’s been a few things I’ve done to it. Just wanted to do a quick update. The 85hp I should have in a week or so.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well after doing some work to the boat I came to an idea of something I want to do, but I don’t know if it would be a good idea or not. What I’m wanting to do is to put a permanent fuel tank in there. I’m looking maybe like a 12 gallon or something. Now I don’t know if that would be a good idea with this boat or not. Looking for some good input on this, because I will be placing a order for a few smaller things for the boat in a couple weeks, and if a permanent tank is do able and won’t hurt the float ability of the boat. I currently have 2 6 gallon portable tanks I have in there, but need some good advice. I also know this would require holes being cut in the top cap for the filler hose and everything as well as for a vent.

chevymaher

Commander
Tanks are expensive. But it is very doable. Finding a tank to fit the opening you have between the stringers is the biggest thing.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tanks are expensive. But it is very doable. Finding a tank to fit the opening you have between the stringers is the biggest thing.

im going to look for a fuel tank to put between the stringers when I get to that stage with the boat. The floor is still extremely solid so no point in tearing it apart yet.

I have the new new motor on the boat, and I actually got a sweet deal on another motor. Wanted another boat trailer and a guy in my area had a trailer for sale that came with a free boat and motor. Sadly his now ex girlfriend destroyed the boat with a sledge hammer, but the motor was rebuilt. It’s a motor that no one likes to much but it runs great. It’s a 85hp Chrysler. Took the motor and controls off the boat, and put those on my other boat. Took it to the shop and after the mechanic gave me some dirty looks he lowered the motor in the tank and ran it. He said that the motor ran perfect, and all he had to do to it was put new spark plugs in it. I don’t know what I’m going to do with that motor, but $150 for that the boat and trailer couldn’t pass it up. The boat was cut with a saw and put in my dumpster. What good parts were inside were taken out and sold everything.

So other news news is I’ve been taking the boat out every weekend, and it has been running great. Let my 12year old son drive the boat this past Sunday for about 10 minutes and he loved it.

Now something im wanting to do is rip out all of the carpet and do something to the floor, but I don’t know just yet what to do. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a new floor finish, but something that will protect the existing floor and look good.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
When I joined this Forum in '13; I had just bought a '89 BL 1700 with a Force 85. Most were critical with the boat; some thought less about the OB. Still got it. Made some changes to fit my needs; made it a fishing boat. Force cratered; had a mechanic (highly recommended; OK with BBB) install a Evinrude 100 on it. Not concerned with the 30lbs extra weight; all I wanted was a rig to take us out and back.capable to outrun bad weather. I think I got it! It doesn't have all the shine with the whistle and bubbles; it just fits us. The Admiral named it " Its paid 4". My 2.