1986 Bayliner Capri 1600 BR

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I got myself a new boat, and I know it's been a really long time since I last posted on the forum. Well the boat I picked up is a 1986 Bayliner Capri 1600br. It's in pretty good condition, but will have some items fixed on it such as the seats. The boat has a 140hp Johnson motor on it. The trim is leaking hydro fluid so that will have to be fixed before it goes on the water. I'll put some pictures on here in a few days and we will go from there with it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I hope your mid 80's bayliner is in better shape than 99% of the mid-80's bayliners

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Justin_R_Fank/media/IMG_9420_zpsza6dcob1.jpg.html]
IMG_9419_zpsrhy5yqei.jpg
[/URL]

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Justin_R_Fank/media/IMG_9422_zpshzwejf69.jpg.html]
IMG_9421_zpslnjjzr40.jpg
[/URL]

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Photobucket pics in post #3 aren't showing up... PB doesn't allow 3rd party hosting anymore, unless you pay an exorbitant fee.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do I get the pics on here? Can't upload them due to phone now allowing me to make them smaller.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

null

Attachments

• photo278446.jpg
    photo278446.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo278447.jpg
    photo278447.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo278448.jpg
    photo278448.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo278449.jpg
    photo278449.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo278450.jpg
    photo278450.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo278451.jpg
    photo278451.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo278452.jpg
    photo278452.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 3
  • photo278453.jpg
    photo278453.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 4

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Same exact boat I started out with a few years back. Yours is in a lot better shape than mine was. I ended up ripping up two layers of floor and redoing all the vinyl. Mine had a Johnson manual tilt 85hp on it. I eventually put a 90hp power trim/ tilt on her. She was a pretty nice 40 mph boat.

My advice....that boat has a max hp rating of 90hp per the USCG placard. They came with a Force outboard which is no where near the motor you have now. That motor is a bit heavier and has a ton more thrust. Check your transom thoroughly for rot. Old boats of that era will have rot....somewhere. Be careful with that motor.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did a deep inspection on the boat before I bought it. Thankfully the original owner kept the boat in a garage and the second owner the person I bought it from kept it covered and under a car port. So it has been very well taken care of. The motor was put on the boat back in 2014, and the previous owner had the boat on the water every weekend. He ended up putting the boat up for sale since he bought a newer boat.

I could possibly build the transom thicker to support the heavier weight of that 140hp motor. What are some thoughts on that to better hold the weight of the motor? I really don't want to buy a smaller motor for the boat due to the cost of one.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the transom could carry a motor weighing 10x what it does.

the weight of the motor is never an issue.......its the more thrust twisting the transom off.

fetch
borrowed from an iboats thread

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about with the thrust issue? How would I go about keeping the thrust of the motor from twisting the transom off?

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about reinforce the transom with metal plates outside and inside?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I've seen some kits you can buy to do just that. I'm not sure of their effectiveness, but worth the research. Look up transom plates??

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did some research and looked at other forums that talked about just that item. I googled it, and there was one thread that a guy talked about a motor upgrade from the 90hp his boat had to a 130hp. The plate on the outside would have to be a horizontal brace while the inside would need to be both a horizontal and verticals brace. I think it is something I could do with the metal I have at my house. I could take the plasma cutter to cut the outside to the correct size that I need. While on the inside cut it to a much larger piece to cover vertical and horizontal. Then I can always paint them with several coats of primer, paint, and clear coat to keep them from rusting. After installing them epoxy around the edges to seal it from the elements and bodies of water, and finally epoxy around the bolt holes.

This will be a very interesting project to try and see how it works. I think if it's done correctly it should be able to handle the thrust of the motor. If all else fails well a new transom would have to be built and installed. I have hope for this plating though. I'll probably start working on it when I get home Saturday.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would skip any bandaids......make sure your 32 year old transom is not wet/rotten first with some test drills. if it is, you can add appropriate kick bracing out of fiberglass vs bolting in hundreds of pounds of steel.

even if your transom was made out of titanium, you are still overpowered based on the length of the boat, the transom width and the transom height.