1984 Ranger 350v water soaked boat

Coxwain

Seaman Apprentice
I recently discovered the boat I just purchased had flooded most likely because of the live well plumbing failure. I'm not sure how long its been wet but I opened up some of the deck to see the water soaked foam. I have since removed the foam but am worried that there might be more significant failure down the road or right now.

If the water is removed and the boat can remain dry inside, should further damage be avoided? or am I still to worry about the ongoing rot from a slowly drying out boat?

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Git Rot, Borax, I mean.. once water is introduced to the wood, the rot process begins.. You need to take steps in stopping it now.

Coxwain

Seaman Apprentice
Git Rot is an epoxy and from the basic chemistry I know, epoxy doesnt mix with water. Should I use a salt solution to preserve the wood? Is that what borax is?

briangcc

Commander
Borax is a laundry detergent booster - aka soap. It'll help clean things up, such as a dirty bilge...maybe, but I'm not so sure drying out is one of its claims to fame.

Some of your other photos indicated the fibreglass is cracked where it meets other structural components. In one shot, you show some plywood clearly delaminating. This may be a case where more investigation is required. As it' a 1984, you may be looking at a larger project than just drying out the boat, replacing some floor & foam...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Thinned epoxies are of no value here, if the wood is wet it will ever dry out.

It looks like it will need a complete gut and rebuild. This probably isn't a result of the plug being left in one time, it's just a function of age.

HinesVernon

Cadet
Thinned epoxies are of no value here, if the wood is wet it will ever dry out.

It looks like it will need a complete gut and rebuild. This probably isn't a result of the plug being left in one time, it's just a function of age.

There is really no way to dry the wood? (From the context it seems like you meant "if the wood is wet, it will never dry out".)

Because this is a function of age how can you take preventive steps before this happened? Or is this something that only ever gets solved from a gutting, even before the wood get waterlogged?