1972 Checkmate MX-15 Rebuild

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea arch, thats my dilemma, I just know the pressure on the seats will eventually start to pull out the lag bolts. And yes, im using the pre made front buckets. I think you might be right in using bolts embedded in the top board from below, and just torque them down with nuts and lock washers.....If I ever have to replace the bolts, that would mean the top board will need to be replaced anyway. I dont plan on this rig being left out for more than a week anyway, and for sure not left uncovered...

Im gonna order two swivel bases that fit the seats before I cap the wood bases.....I think the bolt pattern on the swivel bases are standard for most seats, at least i hope :)

Ahh use full or cut to thickness all thread sockets and set in the board/pb. No rot, won't go anywhere and can swap out the bolts if they go bad.

shopping

zool

Captain
Gotcha arch I forgot about that type, which would work great if it will fit in with the pump, I havnt chosen a gauge package yet but i want them all to match so ill check the tranducer types available with the depth guage.

zool

Captain

zool

Captain
Thanks arch, I was looking at the 4 piece outboard set by them in chrome and white. Now seeing the website, they have the depth gauge that matches. The other I was looking at was by Sierra and they look about the same but the Sierra sets are a bit more pricey..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I'll bet that thing flies when your done with it! Better get some Good seat cushions.:D

zool

Captain
I'll bet that thing flies when your done with it! Better get some Good seat cushions.:D

From what ive heard, they are pretty fast, not sure how much with the Chrysler 105 it has now, but it is rated for up to a 150...which would probably bring it well over 50 mph..and in a low profile rig like this, you get the go cart effect . If I cant get the 105 going, ill look for a 115 to 150 merc. I also heard you get some dangerous chine walk at the real high mph range, so im adding smart tabs to help with that.

Lately Ive been telling the Admiral she needs to wear a helmet in it, and it always gets here going....shes at the point now where she says shes not getting in it, LOL

I show her this of a 72 CM mx-15 :)
View attachment y4mHPCbPKARJonfqBu5AtbK8ySMrsn1NgyJdXCTsd2Q04CVypPgGI0Um6Ot50u0hgBwvrKqePoHj4hFnofxTPRnwqaJODbQW7eD5

Last edited:

zool

Captain
I picked up a 5/8 sheet of ply today to make a deck area above the foam blob in the bow, to make a shelf of sorts to hold life jackets, and an anchor and stuff. Im gonna glass it in from the new front bulkhead to the nose. it will leave about a foot of height to the cap and I plan to carpet it for sound deadening forthe anchor. im gonna fill the created cavity with a few cubic feet of #2 pour in foam.

This is the area.
View attachment y4mkJPb_oZHnycHEpXoWI_AshXeHdLeHrh4cxqCvR6aFI_22aF5ZgYohmi3vG1EqhTOHsocxRlRrW9og9fEoaSlbiX-kqPDnEGhX

I already cut out the metal brace and rings the PO had in there to secure the fuel tank.
View attachment y4mIRZUSgmhRB8W_73hN7JG51AioEp8aweKnc0CyLVgHGBpdUqoYvZ0eXhKHzya3yC5jBQLvX6DnfTqt242cqsRo2Gm7-frz4gkg

I still have to do some grinding in this are to tab in the new shelf.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Miss Morgan runs a little over 50 with the 115 Merc. She is a ton of fun on days where the water is nice and flat.....almost like flying ;-) I would think yours would be similar with the 105 on it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My wife has already said she ain?t getting in the Borum when it?s done ..LOL! I have no clue what it will run with the 175 rude on there ..
Making great progress zool !

Buckischloo

Seaman Apprentice
Your cousin, the Baja, also had a second deck up front. It was made of 1/4 plywood and fiber glassed with CSM on the outside. They must have used the 1/4 to keep it light.There was a 18 gal permanent fuel tank that sat on top of that deck. As everything else in this boat, the 1/4 plywood was disintegrated and only the fiberglass layer remained. I had to cut it all out to get to the balsa core. The front edge of the "shelf" provided side to side strength to the hull. I plan on putting that deck back and replacing the fuel tank there to keep the balance. I may use 1/4 ply again and glass on both sides.

I am putting the Baja together for my kids (20's). Most of these had 115 tower of powers. I am being a very uncool dad and starting with an 85hp. We will see how it goes after that. My son only knows two throttle positions, idle and full.:)

Following along on your CM, great work.

zool

Captain
Buck, I had no idea i had this many cousins, they are very similar, and built down the road form each other. The tank on these were originally at the stern, the bow tank was added by the po. Im looking to add some weight to the front and the battery, and additional wood should do it.

Theres lot sof layers to uncool, dad gave me a 16' Glasspar with a merc 650 on it.......and sent mom along! :eek:....all and all, those virgin voyages are golden to me now......

zool

Captain
Willy, Sam, and Arch, Ive been doing some studying on Scream and Fly as for setups for this rig, and I can either set it up for max speed, or general usage...so I choose the latter. I dont want to have to take this to high speeds for stability.It appears I can get 80-90 mph, set up right, out of a 150 hp.....thats just nuts. Im gonna shoot for faster than I need, but usable.

I revisited the seat base calcs and decided it was best to mock up a full bench base, mark it for a walkway, and cut that out.

I scrounged a 2x12 pressure treated board i had left over from the house build and cut and shaped it to the PO's bench top. I then made 4 3/4 ply bulkheads traced as base supports and epoxy coated them.

View attachment y4mg4uOArP4Y5evZAUauCvfR8ho4kr_PmSW4PbdtnUoWjMgVdzltLSp1dzzqqtodUWICUwOyaxgwHsQpcePF-Y_HANYeA_udUNC0

View attachment y4mcm6r7GMrPKOu5zHd-nwwXAUe-H7GqSkE0ZsjpuRh_7e1cFrze2MXYwghp168d35oNhvBc_jLYNRtPwCVwv4aKqFyHCUNVobEP

This way I can mark the walkway based off the flat deck and cut each side. And while the section are hanging, I can bed the in. Then remove the tops to bed in the caraige bolts for the seat swivels.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
thats going to be a nice project when finished , my days of fast are over ... im a putter :)

zool

Captain
Thanks guys, we had a bunch of snow here yesterday, so I stayed on the couch this weekend :couch2:..