1972 Checkmate MX-15 Rebuild

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good for you... Looks great. I'm so surprised people don't understand ACX, Bcx and cdx. They all work just need a little more prep like you did.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
As always, your work looks great. I've been so busy with the move and remodeling the new digs, I haven't even THOUGHT about the Blue Flamingo. Been living vicariously thru all the Great iboat members.

zool

Captain
Thanks guys, Dont fret it Mike, I have plenty of boat work here for all of us :)

Today I didnt work on the CM, I had to move the ball along on the skiff so I can make the shop switch.....Ill update that on that thread...

So far I havnt had to really buy anything for this build, and that looks to continue for a little while as I found a sheet of 1/2 ply for the deck lol

zool

Captain
Update:

Today I grabbed a piece of that blue 2" foam board from out in the barn and shaved it to the contour of the hull bottom, and filled in the area one each side of the stringer. Then I fabricated the 1/2" center deck board from under the dash to the transom. Test fitted everything in place. Then I built the front bulkhead out of 3/4 ply using the old as a template. Thats pretty much all I need for now to start gluing it all back together.

On a side note, I managed to move the motor flywheel about 1 inch with a breaker bar, lightly rocking it, then no more for now, resoaked the cylinders and letting it sit :)

zool

Captain
Today I got the transom clamped and glued in place, just letting it set up before removing the boards and bolts. Now im going to coat the deck, stringer, and bulkhead with resin and let it all set. Its pouring rain right now so im taking a break and building up courage to run thru the rain lol. Will post all the pics soon when I upload them from the camera.

Im happy with the progress on this, all down hill from here but I still got a lot of PB to lay in.

zool

Captain
Yeah, just trying to git er done Kev!

Still no real luck on the outbaord, so I removed the lower and it spins free, still the pwer head is locked up, have it on a stand now, tilted it and added alot of MMO in the cylinders and letting her drink it all up, and keep trying :)

View attachment y4mDupTFUOEl-qJeto7B2H9QGbHcHh5UfnWpbxoiIaN2uk0FzW8zSkcUjCcQB4BM491PkqQwL_cdrnt8S7X6I18fyTuEGiKnADuGView attachment y4mkooFDie6VmjskA8hP8YMLwD7eEBW5V03THNPxtqovjpBXWYNxL8PaLAaZ8ri_CD8nBo5Fq4_HHP0pAvsnrkD4oygRP9udJsfY

View attachment y4mVE9BqfeYogGKx6eWJD3paLLrx0Z41uNKhSlfYt94iy3cT7a6u4c_Gsz6HODTt9sdJjydBML7pj1rJGJie4EJem_DRq0zz_tdU

zool

Captain
thanks guys, gonna keep pushing this but I gotta get some fairing done on the skiff too...basically im looking at an epoxy fest this week...fun stuff:cool:

ab59

Ensign
Dang Zool your maken me feel guilty as I'm just still plodding along on my restore . Great pace on the job your doin and looks like shes comin along nicely . I'm not so sure that I would have the patience to free up that engine . Around here older outboards in reasonable shape go fairly cheap so I think I would have kept the old one for parts and found another runner of the same maker and vintage though and called her good . When I restored my Skibarge it had no motorso I bought and old glass ski boat with an 85 hp Merc. for 600.00 , stripped and dumped the hull , sold the trailer for 500.00 and was up and running for about 200.00 with tune up and water pump. But it's obvious to me that you are not nearly as lazy as I am. Lol. At this rate you could be fishing out of this one before Thanksgiving. Keep it up your doin great .

zool

Captain
Thanks ab,

Around here, most 100+ outboards run over 1K alone, but I havnt seen any 82 105's on craigslist, but if i cant get this one goin, ill find something. There is a supposedly running 150 merc on a 21 checkmate for sale for $875 but the boat looks nice and I know if I go pick it up...it will be another boat rebuild lol...A ter I get it free and check compression, ill go to plan b if I have to..but ill still prolly tear this down to see what was up

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey ,I got a old 70 hp Chrysler sitting out back I'll give ya ..:lol: It's got a reg type distributor with rotors and points . I tried and tried but couldn't get spark for some reason .. I'm thinking it was my mechanic didn't know what he was doing ..:facepalm: I would throw it in the truck and drop it off to ya but I don't know how to drive in the snow ..:D

zool

Captain
Hey ,I got a old 70 hp Chrysler sitting out back I'll give ya ..:lol: It's got a reg type distributor with rotors and points . I tried and tried but couldn't get spark for some reason .. I'm thinking it was my mechanic didn't know what he was doing ..:facepalm: I would throw it in the truck and drop it off to ya but I don't know how to drive in the snow ..:D

Haha, no worries, driving in the snow is like driving in the loose sand, only different ;)....sounds like your "mechanic" and my "mechanic" would have a hell of a beer drinking and head scratching session :facepalm: