1972 Checkmate MX-15 Rebuild

jnlazar007

Cadet
Awesome boat. Or will be. Both Checkmate and Baja were built in my home town of Bucyrus Ohio. There are still tons of them around town. I'll keep my eye out. Checkmate just so happens to be back open making boats to order. I do HVAC work for the first and second generation owners. I can stop in and see if they have any original spec info if you come across anything you cant find online.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If ya run short let me know I have some xtras lying around. :embarassed:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Zool, When it got hot in July I shut down working on Fuggly and went to the lake! Now that it has cooled off I am finishing up some fall chores, should be back at it in a week or two. Upholstery is done, next I need to overhaul the drive and paint it. After that it is mostly get the drive train in, wiring, steering, gauges, trim and carpet.

zool

Captain
Im a true believer that MBS is healthy lol

I got the transom, deck, and wet foam out..only took a few hours..so there just one center stringer, a narrow 1/2 inch deck,and there was 2 inches of wet transom.

easy peasy

y4mus-Nsj-MEqc37gCEg47E1icoHRti4C4wSUNnRuSfCOx1PjHdBSuDmEz5qrHOqoiC4dwMyGQGDWIW0LQ3aNRvtZw3--2DqIyGeH69f9aOViDnWuqjL8_oi9dlA64QGQZTFVH3x5wtMUXrzY1tY3iNg81R_7oUiTeYyLEEldwejEagRl-pkbkKYWIl5zRVSXtwmwCTszaBgvJqisSlMa40mA

y4mjsaN5MvH0xrfMPssFEgM6TDQBnZBl0O0Y88DoZjvqjavSI5via40AMQ8LArfmQatZU8JTNxecDKm5eEM5P-XTea9_jQHEQeRqlPVQKeEFtEEo_R2NB9U1RXLgWK-9IZjbtzZtvZOL4UUC0wG4-nXOhEcqQ-8WCCENj6JA5T9faOwcsqDB5OO4ZziR4rPjU6g9pFu02ZNYmjhQmthf_9s7Q

y4mZ5CEkxGg02u0Dxqx1zfkY0zrxB7dpva9YXdJVO9yN2X9Kp-hLkpVGLZpTj64CeZPWp8Gv1lUKF6cZ0-Jwagm1ta9jZsfqwtZziY1VN3tMbwlNcCrXtd8aq-WTbXwOjIJWZa5Buji4AHg8ywRUrV5R20qjV10gyjjRE3L34FcvwdVLP5ZY1G3HcqCtKgsuauUtC-JrqcPs1xMvSgag9XhAg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a sheet of 3/4" and a sheet of 1/2" and your done ... Not much under there but I would suspect the foam is part of the structure ...

zool

Captain
Exactly Sam, Thats about what I thought, except maybe 2 sheets of 1/2 for the transom sandwich, the deck, and the front bulkhead..maybe another 3/4 for custom mods for the rear seating and front seating.....regardless, it appears fairly simple....which is nice :happy:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You dog!!! Did ya get tow insurance? At least you haven't sat on it like me for 3 years. :joyous:

zool

Captain
Update: So I finally got the rest of the hull gutted, the remaining deck, center stringer, and bulkhead are all gone. I also mostly finished the grinding, at least in the areas i need to replace the transom, stringer, bulkhead, and deck. Now its time to start putting her all back together....the transom, deck, stringer, and bulkhead will be basically the same, but the front seat base and rear seat base as well as the tank stand and such are kinda a blank canvas, so im figuring all that out

I was right that this boat was redone a while back, because the center stringer was also bedded in concrete, with no glassing at all....I doubt it was built that way, but I could be wrong.

Ill post some pics later on, so Kev doesnt get his panties all in a ruffle :boink:

zool

Captain
progress pics
y4mPE6opYfy1igHxMuZ1JWxEq2R1rJz9Q_CjIh2DpxAr4-hcKxyL4MVjMZCe2ViFztk8rOrQMfgfdI88ttu-Yu6sqvAoXPT9ifwPheeXfBAxzxoaDKJwaj8WgksDuY8IcvqKfVgsUvAoI5xwvndTehNc2tEaXP6Rr8sM4CEEgdHH1OVJeGAx8YUtTJhksn50oqmas6CblwXW1iKLYPl3os3sg

y4mGJHeGuUC2Hebw4D-Zr4b8nsHd9Vu0x7IDJKC_c9oUvLDXGUGs1KHHWUfzMNaHmuPgKzXwBTmA_47G0MudBtkb2-KZYcBPQc3eMr73-INcbzaRF2ca_AD1tUn_VRRNszdqnUg7EQZ8PfTZU5GzNp-NIZXBb8PBk1wKLh3ppzOF5bTMRfDKE-kqsWrDlQPnrPladsx1tt7sQdH5NcUCeYIFA

y4mqU2dSLHfaDxACzk3EPzPNAzEE--mWYdqwJQEqsG-eULEGhfrknvnVebHzGeyTIA2vrVmVgiaXqss_jJlMu_pD1YDYeGmlqWB5sGNZuNGNVxOZe86p6OHc_xYz1TPZV_kmFwJDpMDt7Px1apPkptE6qMrbGauPgPX03T3cfarzSQqQ9AU3Ftr-Qm206NG3_VFvB3GpQx78L91ATRovSLnnA
annoying snowstorm to prepared substrate.....wasnt fun but better than the sportfish by a mile.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Update: So I finally got the rest of the hull gutted, the remaining deck, center stringer, and bulkhead are all gone. I also mostly finished the grinding, at least in the areas i need to replace the transom, stringer, bulkhead, and deck. Now its time to start putting her all back together....the transom, deck, stringer, and bulkhead will be basically the same, but the front seat base and rear seat base as well as the tank stand and such are kinda a blank canvas, so im figuring all that out

I was right that this boat was redone a while back, because the center stringer was also bedded in concrete, with no glassing at all....I doubt it was built that way, but I could be wrong.

Ill post some pics later on, so Kev doesnt get his panties all in a ruffle :boink:

HEY YO, PLAY FAIR!
Haian-These-Delightful-Pinch-Panties-Adult-font-b-Baby-b-font-font-b-Sissy-b-font.jpg

Nice pics there, crisp, clear and oh yea so is the work on the nasty grind. :moony:

zool

Captain
Yea, I didnt suit up this time, just threw on a mask, and went at it for a 1/2 a day..then showered, wasnt too bad....just wanted it behind me :)

That big dewalt just ate it up!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I noticed you broke out the big grinder .. Maybe hard to get in tight spots but will sure cover a lot of ground ..

ab59

Ensign
Brings back memory's of the 1977 16 ' Ski Barge I restored last year . I saw the little plunge cutter laying in the boat , worth their weight in gold , imho. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting blade to get the glass cut off the deck and cut a dang slot up front clear through the hull. Good thing fiberglass is easy to patch.
Was in the 108-106 * heat when I broke out my grinder to grind the lip and no suits at all in that heat, no shower was ever enough to get the itch out. Those Pictures bring back many itchy memories.
Good work so far , making great time as well , I'm watching to see the end results.

zool

Captain
Yeah I noticed you broke out the big grinder .. Maybe hard to get in tight spots but will sure cover a lot of ground ..

The best part was, there are only two corners I have to deal with, the rest was open field..

zool

Captain
Brings back memory's of the 1977 16 ' Ski Barge I restored last year . I saw the little plunge cutter laying in the boat , worth their weight in gold , imho. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting blade to get the glass cut off the deck and cut a dang slot up front clear through the hull. Good thing fiberglass is easy to patch.
Was in the 108-106 * heat when I broke out my grinder to grind the lip and no suits at all in that heat, no shower was ever enough to get the itch out. Those Pictures bring back many itchy memories.
Good work so far , making great time as well , I'm watching to see the end results.

Welcome aboard ab59, cutting a slit in the hull is supposed to be a right of passage..havnt crossed that bridge yet tho....the multi tool is easy to handle for the cuts.

I had to pick up some west 406 to do some securing on the skiff bottom, so i can move it. I want to move that out of that building, and move the checkmate in there after i put the bones back in...it will be warmer in there this winter....I only have one trailer here, so i gotta do some planning.

zool

Captain
Update:

Today I got the transom pieces measured and cut....test fitted and trimmed. They are now epoxied and screwed together. I just have to round off the edges and get ready to clamp it in place for bedding

I also got the center stringer cut, glued together and contoured to the hull bottom. I also did a mock layout with the fuel tank back in the stern, and the removable rear bench base set in place....it will be tight, but the tank will be removable by just taking out the removabe bench base

The front seats may be too far gone to reuse, so i found some bcuket seats obline that look like they will work well... The bench seat cushions will have to be fabricated to match...Ill post some pics in a little while to show what im trying to explain heheh