Starcraft islander resto .. first boat 🍻👍

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought my first boat it's a 83 Starcraft islander with a 140 merc... the floor was soft so I pulled up the vinyl on the floor and it was a mess so I pulled the flooring and I'm in the process of a resto job .. iv never done anything like this and I hope I'm not in over my head lol it won't let me post pics. Cause of the file size ??

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Welcome aboard! Lots of great guys to help you out. As far as pics goes I think you have to post 3x then you can post pics. Since photbucket went down unless you pay to play there have been posting issues and there are a lot of ways to post.

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
So I have the floor all pulled up there is a small patch of wood on my transom that is soft on the lower port side the rest is solid ... should I replace ? I'd rather not because I don't think I'm mechanicly inclined enough to pull the motor and put it back in correctly but if I have to I guess now is the time to do it ?

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have the floor all pulled up there is a small patch of wood on my transom that is soft on the lower port side the rest is solid ... should I replace ? I'd rather not because I don't think I'm mechanicly inclined enough to pull the motor and put it back in correctly but if I have to I guess now is the time to do it ?
Transoms don't get better on their own. Once it is soft or rotten, that spot will wick water to the rest of it over time. I have heard of a product that stabilizes rotted wood, that might be an option if it is a small area.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Alumimum Starcrafts depend on solid transom and decks (floor).

Replace them both.

Splashwell, gunnel and chine cracking develop when transoms and decks are solid..

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
When impelled out the foam under the deck it was gross and water logged ... do I need to put foam back in it ? It just seems like a moisture trapper

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When impelled out the foam under the deck it was gross and water logged ... do I need to put foam back in it ? It just seems like a moisture trapper
You could replace the foam with pool noodles, but that's not economical. Foam will add some some strength to the hull and floor, but mainly it keeps the boat from sinking if you swamp it in a storm or poke a hole in the bottom. Foam insulation board is an option.

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

ill post some transom pics in the am

Attachments

• photo277680.png
    photo277680.png
    518.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277681.png
    photo277681.png
    501.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo277682.png
    photo277682.png
    656.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo277683.png
    photo277683.png
    486.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277684.png
    photo277684.png
    516.9 KB · Views: 4

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Very Cool Boat project ya have there.
Thanks it was never intended to be a project lol I bought it thinking I just had to replace one small soft spot in the floor no big deal right lol well here I am but your right it's actually kind of fun and it will give me peace of mind that she will be sea worthy next year if I can get this done

Marinemp

Seaman Apprentice
Well I got a quote for transom replacement that's a 4000k repair ....