motor mount bolts fixed with brace?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3L Mercruiser, Cutter (Grew) 1995.
2 bolts loose- no doubt rot. Rest of surface they are on seems fairly solid. Having a brace made.

Question-
1.if I drill down is there likely a steel support or is what the 2 engine mount bolts go into usually just wood?

2. Any thoughts on the brace idea? it would go over the bolts and hopefully be bolted to less rotted wood.

chevymaher

Commander
All the wood is likely wet. And it would just rip right back out in a new spot in short order. Only way is take it out and replace it. And check every thing else for wet rotted condition.

Loose motor mount was my boats only outward sign something was wrong on mine when I got it. But the more I dug in the more I found. Biggest give away on mine was the bulkhead hidden under carpet in the skii locker.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just wood. replacing the mount is a 1 day job

tpenfield

Staff member
Since you don't really know the condition of what is inside the engine mount stringer (wet, rotted, etc.) It is hard to say if that would work. There may be nothing in the area that you can bite into.

​Drill some test holes to get an idea of what lurks within the stringers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not if it is just the front mount on a 3.0. pull drive, put small screw jack under motor, pull front engine mount, grind out bad wood/glass and repair. align motor, reinstall drive. however if you find anything beyond the front mount needing work, yes the motor needs to come out.

removing the motor is only a 1 hour task