Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 10 AM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours (we are expected to be back up at 1:00 PM MST). Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

1960 Glass Magic Siren - Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Glass Magic Siren - Project

Howdy all, my wife and I were gifted her great uncles' 1960 Glass Magic Siren. It has been sitting in his backyard since 1996 and let me tell you... it's a lump of coal at the moment. I have all of the paperwork and whatnot which is good. She's got a '71 Chrysler 55hp outboard on the back and we found the original gas tank too.

Had to haul her on a flat bed trailer to my working location at my uncles house, and clean out all of the years of general trash and debris. No question it'll be a complete gut and rebuild. But look at those lines!

We got her safely over to the working holding grounds... and started the cleanup and tearout. I forgot to bring my good power washer to get it going right... that'll be another day. But was able to clean out most of the complete soggy mush from the deck and get the stringers exposed. Hadn't seen one with 8 wide... I'm kind of hoping they are moulded fiberglass and NOT wood, but I doubt it. I need to go back with my dremmel and a mask and finish cutting it out as close as I can to the side.

Cap will have to come off eventually to get the transom out, I'm sure it's gone too although the engine felt pretty solid. Didn't seem like it flexed that much.

There is a pretty good hole in the front of the bow where the PO hit something hard. I've got to try and access that area first to see what sort of damage we're looking at on the inside.

Comment

Nice project!

Looking forward to following along.

Comment

Cool old runabout ! Looking forward to seeing her all new and shinny again !
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        '64 MFG Rebuild
        MFG forum thread http://forums.iboats.com/mfg/64-edin...ay-524708.html
        http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ve-the-manatee
        http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...at-restoration

Comment

You got lucky. Looks like all the original hardware is there and the windshield is not cracked!

Dave S. S/W Louisiana
          2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
          Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
          Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

Lucky is one way to look at it yes... lol. The windshield is a plexi I'm pretty sure, and it DOES have 3 cracks, but they are vertical and really not that bad. The old hardware is horribly pitted but I may be able to save it all.

Comment

Had another cleanup day on the boat... It's about an hour away from home currently and I can't convince my wife to let me garage it yet... Yet. Discovered that the stringers are in fact hollow. Did a couple of drill tests to confirm but there is nothing there, wet or otherwise. So that's good.

The bad... after a closer inspection there were a couple of ugly cracks in the gelcoat around the transom. Now, I'm 100% sure I need to replace the transom anyways, so I'm hoping these are just swelling cracks from the wood expansion and the fiberglass underneath is okay.

But gave her a nice pressure wash and she cleans up okay... I'm ready to pull the motor and bring THAT home at least.

Comment

Is that a flip up boarding ladder on the port stern?

Dave S. S/W Louisiana
                2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
                Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
                Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

Honestly it looks to me like it was something added later... does seem like a ladder but it doesn't flip up. More of bent metal. BUT... it did come with a removable side-ladder that fits perfectly over the top-cap near the back of the boat. Something to store on-board. I have the original bimini hardware structure as well which is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by JPalm79 View Post
                    Honestly it looks to me like it was something added later... does seem like a ladder but it doesn't flip up. More of bent metal. BUT... it did come with a removable side-ladder that fits perfectly over the top-cap near the back of the boat. Something to store on-board. I have the original bimini hardware structure as well which is pretty neat.
                    Looks like a failed kicker motor bracket !

Comment

Originally posted by SOG3 View Post
                      Looks like a failed kicker motor bracket !
                      Oh hey that's a good point.... I didn't even think about that. There wasn't a great place to mount a trolling motor that I saw but I never got that far in my head.

Comment

Spent some time this week with a good outboard stand template and using the leftover wood and casters in my garage got my stand ready to bring home the 55hp Chrysler and start trying to resurrect it. Tons of good info on this site on what I need to do to get that process started.

Got sidetracked over the last couple of weeks, but with the kiddos soccer seasons winding down (coaching 3 teams) it's time to dedicate some hours to get this lady back on the lake.

Comment

The windshield is truly one of the redeeming items in your project. The plexiglass can be replaced, there are a few posters here who have done it. Having the frame and hardware is priceless. The other hardware may clean up and can be restored. Boats like these have the lines I grew up with and bring back wonderful memories as a kid. Back then everyone had a speedboat, today they all have pontoons. That Chrysler motor is different from any of the ones I have seen. Glad you have a realistic attitude about your project. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks! That's another thing I want to take off ASAP and bring home is all of the hardware I can. I'd love to figure out how to retrofit a couple of LEDs in the bow light but keep the look/feel of the original. I have my interior inspiration from a facebook group.

My dad (60) thinks I'm crazy for trying it all... but then again, tells me about my grandfathers '57 Larson Playboy that he rode around in when he was younger. Totally wish that thing was still around somewhere I could get my hands on.

Comment

Working...
                            X