1989 SeaRay 160 BowRider 100hp OB Merc. Overhaul Project?

rotorhead22

Seaman
​Did your transom show signs of rot? i.e. cracks in the gel coat like mine? or did it look fine until you ripped it open?

Sorry for the delay in response. I pretty much figured out that it was rotted by tapping on it with a coin and then using a 1" hole saw in a couple of spots confirmed the transom was a black mush.

rotorhead22

Seaman
No Title

I will be doing a complete deck/stringer/transom overhaul on this over the winter. Should i cut the top of the transom and remove the wood from the top leaving the inside and outside skins intact for use as a mold for a composite transom? or should i remove the inside skin? As far as i can tell the stringer do not run into the transom so i don't think its completely necessary to rip the rear glass skins off, unless you all have second opposing opinions, ill defer to the expertise of the forum. Thanks

This is what mine looked like. Figure out your cost and time then double it. Protect your lungs and brain and buy good quality dusk and vapor masks. You will also probably burn up a shop vac using it so much.

Attachments

• photo278739.JPG
    photo278739.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 0