Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

1989 SeaRay 160 BowRider 100hp OB Merc. Overhaul Project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 SeaRay 160 BowRider 100hp OB Merc. Overhaul Project?

We came into this boat at a fair price about a year and a half ago with a rebuilt Outboard, trim motor and pump. When we purchased it, it had two soft spots on the deck and these superficial cracks in the gel coat around where the motor mounts to the transom. I took pictures of them the day we brought it home(ill add some tonight), they haven't grown any larger, and we've used it ALOT. When I get home ill post some more pictures of the boat, and other points of interest. My question is really when do you know your ready for a deck/transom overhaul? I watched "friskoboaters" yourtube videos of his overhauls and it well within my skill, it will just require time and money I understand. Thanks

Do replace the transom on these outboard boats you must remove the cap correct? Ive read there is a danger of the boat haul widening when you do that, what are the options to remedy?

Comment

Could you replace the deck first then remove the cap for the transom? Would the new deck hold the hull in place?

Comment

No bow in the transom and the engine doesn't move the transom if you pull it up and down. FYI
        Last edited by Nick0294; September 1st, 2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	275758 Pics
          Attached Files

Comment

Name:	IMG_2277.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	275757 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2275.JPG
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	275759 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.JPG
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	275755 More pics

Comment

Keeping the hull "In Shape" is not that difficult. Take plenty of measurements prior to tearing anything out. Use nylon straps to hold her in shape
              1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
              Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
              Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

I considered simply wrapping a strap around the hull and securing it in place just to be safe. But I'm more concerned with whether I need to do that at all, are stress cracks in the gel coat around the transom signs of rot?

Comment

I should say the transom is definitely wet/waterlogged. When I torqued on the engine mount bolts from the inside of the hull, brown water seeped from them

Comment

Name:	IMG_2995.JPG
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	275834 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997.JPG
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	275835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996.JPG
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	275836 I was wonder if this piece of angle aluminum is factory? and if not, why would it be there? it wraps around the top outside edge of the transom. Thanks

Comment

Does the top of this boat need to be separated to replace the transom?

Comment

Just wanted to post some pics of the boat to get a BUMP in and maybe get some insight on some of my questions.

Comment

I will reply to your email request here. I took a oscillating multi-tool and cut off the top of the transom and found black mush and rotted plywood. Save the piece you cut off. I got a long drill bit and drilled out a bunch and got impatient and cut the inside forward of the transom out which later caused me way more work to replace, don't it it unless you have too. I got quotes for plywood and marine board etc etc and decided to go with a local company here in the Tampa area called Arjay http://www.arjaytech.com/. It looks like JB weld when dry. It's solid as a rock in there now. Out of a 5 gal bucket I probably used on about 3.5 gal and used the rest to fill a crack in my house foundation. I used construction adhesive and strips of plywood to get the correct height for the top of the transom, let it dry and then used peanut butter to fill the gaps. Then the fun starts with sanding out the lumps and filling again and sanding to smooth out for gel coat. If you have that aluminum drain tube in the transom rip that thing out because I highly suspect that was the water entry point into the transom. I replaced the tube with a 1/2" PVC pipe. I would also check the rear section of the gas tank coffin for rot. The gas tank coffin is open on the top around the filler hose and shutoff valve which allows water to sit around the gas tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick0294 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n10477654[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n10477655[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n10477656[/ATTACH] I was wonder if this piece of angle aluminum is factory? and if not, why would it be there? it wraps around the top outside edge of the transom. Thanks
                            Mine had this strip also which I will leave off

Comment

Right on rotorhead22 thanks a lot for the response!! So best bet is to just cut the top of the transom open, and take your time removing all the old rot then use the glass that's already there for the old transom as a mold essentially for something like "seacast"?

Comment

Working...
                              X