Plywood selection

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading all the builds on here and seeing the vast opinion difference on what plywood to use for decks and stringers I've figured out how to ask this question lol. I'm looking the Lightest yet Strongest plywood. Everybody has their preference in what to use but I just want something that doesn't weigh a ton, is very strong for its weight, and not 100+ a sheet. Anybody care to throw some ideas out?

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked really well into that Arauco ply because it came up often but there's not any store around me that sells it. The closest Menards in Poplar Bluff MO, about a 2 hour drive. But that link you sent is actually a tad cheaper than the pieces I was looking at from my neighborhood Lowes. I wonder if any places can order that stuff?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Lowes no longer carries Arauco. also, you may want to update your profile, it still has you in Memphis

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in Memphis TN, zipcode 38122 to be exact. But there is no Menards in Tennessee.

fishrdan

Admiral
Arauco Plywood (radiata pine) is very susceptible to rot...

Try douglas fir 1/2" 5-ply plywood, strong and rigid.

Ned L

Commander
ACX first or you could just as well use good looking BCX

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
While arauco plywood does use Pine it IS glued with exterior grade glue just like Marine Plywood AND it has more layers than the typical ACX. If properly encapsulated in resin and glass it will last for decades. I highly recommend it IF you can find it. If not then ACX is ok to but it Will have more voids than the Arauco.

fishrdan

Admiral
While arauco plywood does use Pine

But it's not Douglas Fir pine that we are used to here in the states. Arauco plywood uses a fast growing radiata pine that's more susceptible to rot than doug fir. Check out some Australian websites about radiata pine's rot characteristics.

I've used Arauco before and think it's a fine plywood, just not for boats or for use around water.

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I've called some friends, who probably called some other friends but all I can come up with local that isn't going to be a special order is BCX. I know that the surface finish isn't as smooth but is that going to cause a problem? Or do I need to keep looking around?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
But it's not Douglas Fir pine that we are used to here in the states. Arauco plywood uses a fast growing radiata pine that's more susceptible to rot than doug fir. Check out some Australian websites about radiata pine's rot characteristics.

I've used Arauco before and think it's a fine plywood, just not for boats or for use around water.
I totally understand what you're saying but...In actuality you can use cardboard for your stringer "FORMS" and as long as you encapsultate them correctly with resin and glass, they can't rot cuz water can't get to the CORE material. The increased number of laminations and almost no voids, IMHO, makes Arauco a good choice. it's better than the Crap ACXand BCX with lots of voids and only 3-5 plys. Bottom line is the OP can use what ever he wants. We're just stating our opinions. I AM The OLD DUMB OKIE so you always need to take that into consideration!!!;):D:laugh:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I totally understand what you're saying but...In actuality you can use cardboard for your stringer "FORMS" and as long as you encapsultate them correctly with resin and glass, they can't rot cuz water can't get to the CORE material. The increased number of laminations and almost no voids, IMHO, makes Arauco a good choice. it's better than the Crap ACXand BCX with lots of voids and only 3-5 plys. Bottom line is the OP can use what ever he wants. We're just stating our opinions. I AM The OLD DUMB OKIE so you always need to take that into consideration!!!;):D:laugh:

I wonder what the weight would be if you layered 1708 with poly mixed with Cabosil and glass bubbles for each layer. Would it be too heavy or actually weigh about the same as plywood covered? Interesting to think about. :noidea:

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wonder what the weight would be if you layered 1708 with poly mixed with Cabosil and glass bubbles for each layer. Would it be too heavy or actually weigh about the same as plywood covered? Interesting to think about. :noidea:
You mean like making uh fiber ply lol? Interesting thought, would probably cost a fortune though. To give y'all a little background on the reasoning for my post, I'll explain why I'm looking for certain properties in the ply. I come from vehicles and I know that the cheapest way to make my car faster is to make it lighter. So my goal is to try to offset the weight of accessories I'm adding during the rebuild so I don't cut into the weight capacity of the boat. It's only a 18ft'r with a 3.0 so I'm trying to be conscience of weight so I don't have a boat that only works at no wake speeds lol.

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So far I've probably got close to 150 pounds of stuff that didn't come in the boat. Bought an extra battery for the radio, 8 speakers, amp, lights, and I don't go anywhere without tools. First thing I did when I got the boat home was go over every bolt and I went to my trusty raggedy tool pile and put every size socket and wrench that is on the motor in an old toolbox. Along with various sizes and types of pliers, screwdrivers,wire, electrical tape, gasket maker. Even a few spare parts, basically I've got everything I would need to get my family I back home and not have to wait for a tow lol. I'd just like my OCD to not cut into the weight capacity of the boat. I've been told I worry too muchšŸ˜‚.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
09 you can never be safe enough. Especially with family, bag the rest! {only kidding** I would hope everyone going out with a boat has a good set of tools. things also might be plugs, ooo forget it list goes on.
OCD
Oh yea...ACX/BCX will be just fine. Defiinitely fill the voids and soak the edges.

Last edited:

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got plugs, I always keep the cap and rotor when I replace them for spares too. I keep a spare plug wire or 2, that's long enough to reach any of them. I planned on soaking them really good and wrapping each piece 100% before installing as well.

chevymaher

Commander
Not sure about posting links to other places but this is about all I can find.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Plytanium-15-32-CAT-PS1-09-Pine-Sanded-Plywood-Application-as-4-x-8/3010108

That was the best I could find as well without special ordering. If you look through the stacks you can find some good ones. I did not find voids in the pieces I selected. Very small knots in the back a heck of alot smaller than four winns originally used.

Dime sized as opposed to the bigger than silver dollar stuff it had originally. But I lifted every single one and moved it and found the best pieces. Made a stack against the shelves of the best then sorted through them and made the final selections. They have 3/4 .703 in this type also.

My boat the 1X10 and 1X4 were what they used for stringers a various other things. They are over in the trim wood slection a couple isles over. Untreated pine. Again most looked nasty big ol knots. But look through them all there are a few good pieces with no knots in them. Or just wait till the next shipment comes. I made them take the new bundle down from the top rack opened it and went through them to. They accidentally got good stuff mixed in when they graded it just got to look.

I made several trips and looked before buying. When the new wood came in and wasn't picked over. I was all over it.