Advice needed

Ned L

Commander
If you can't slip it in in one piece then just cut enough off one side to be able to slip it in. The farther from the middle the better. Precisely where and how makes no difference.
(Edit to add) ..... and in reality the less straight the cut line the better. It is not realistic, but if you could make a zig zag saw cut (that would be like interlocking saw teeth) that would be the best. -- Keeping in mind that this "ideal" is really unnecessary overkill.

Last edited:

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Awesome thanks ned then I'll tab the peices back in for my ski hooks I'll put some pics up when she is in thanks again guys

tpenfield

Staff member
Hey Tpenfield wondering if u could elaborate a little more on the 3 piece I would prefer not to lift the cap if i can get away with it thanks

Here is a picture . . .

The key thing is to have a large center section where the engine will mount. Often you can make the section breaks at the point where the engine mount stringers meet the transom. that way you will have a strong transom structure and still be able to fit the wood sections in through the cap of the boat.

As Scott mentioned, cutting in the center would be the weakest of the alternatives.

3piecetransom.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cut one layer like Ted has shown, cut the other layer with a horizontal cut 8" from the top.

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Ok thanks guys be do the re cut tonite the my bachlor party this weekend then start goin Ater hard all week honey moon on in island that's why I need the boat by October

gordo9742000

Cadet
Ok thanks guys be do the re cut tonite the my bachlor party this weekend then start goin Ater hard all week honey moon on in island that's why I need the boat by October

???????????

Bigtrout29

Seaman
I wanted to put the transom in this weekend but my bachlor party is this weekend sorry was early in the am when I posted and we rented a cottage on a island only boat access for the honeymoon so i have to have it done and floating by October

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
rent a boat 'cuz yours wont be done in time

tpenfield

Staff member
Congrats on the upcoming wedding . . . I was thinking the same a Scott, that it may not be ready . . . sort of depends on how much time you have and if it is October 1st or October 31st. :)

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Thanks tpen I pretty much have 6 hrs a nite and the weekends so got some time backing me and as long as the seats are back in i can do the rest of the leather trim work when we get back i think I will have it done allready told every one I am busy wanna hang out I am here lol

hogbare35

Seaman
I had a similar problem on a SeaRay I did several years ago . I noticed in 1 of your pics you had cut part of the floor out. Figure out how far back to cut the floor so you can slide the top in and let the bottom follow the top in . You can lean the top over and under the gunnel and then work the bottom until its mates with the outer transom . Just an idea.

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Hey guys well the bachlor part was a success only have to bruises hahahah any time to bunker down and get the goat finished and yes I put goat not boat that is what the wife named it lol and I'll be posting progress soon thanks again for all the help

Bigtrout29

Seaman
No Title

Hey guys got the transom cut and in place and polyed the two layers together tonite held together with screws tomorow nite gonna pb the edges cut out the key hole and soak with more poly then wait a couple days and attach it to the hull getting exciting the progress being made here is a couple of pics

Attachments

• photo275612.jpg
    photo275612.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275613.jpg
    photo275613.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Not sure I'd be happy with a seam in the transom core running right thru the keyhole... you're giving up a lot of strength.

Bigtrout29

Seaman
When I set the old peice on the transom to figure out how much I needed for the second piece found the was I slit through the old one aswell and the back peice is a solid peice I also pbed the **** out of it before I squished it together

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Ok guys need on more question then am done till this boat is done should I pl new transom in or use poly would be easier for me to use pl and also should I rap it with 1.5 before goin in and then another layer over top with tabbing that is for the help I know it is strong I stood on it last week didn't flex with my 230 lbs carcus lol thanks again

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd use PB NOT PL. No CSM needed on the back side.. Apply Plenty of PB to ensure it oozes out around ALL the edges and then fillet it in place. Should take about 3-4 quarts to get installed properly.