1997 bayliner Capri 1950 project

ffrtemt779

Recruit
Where do I begin. I definetly am starting to begin to feel I bit off more than I can chew. Me and my wife have been looking for boats for 12 years. Never pulled the trigger. Finally came across one that need some work. I thought, I can do that. Even though this is our first boat and know virtually nothing about boats. Well we bought the boat. Where to begin with the problems. The floor is rotted out, I knew that before I bought it. The motor didn't start. I was hoping it was just a solenoid. Replaced the solenoid, only to find the starter is bad too. Now I cant get to the starter bolts and break them loose, and apparently there are to different starters used in that year motor. The prop is tore up and worse yet the lower unit is bent some. The hull on the other hand is in good shape. The interior is trashed. Everything is moldy, so far little success on clearing it. Wish me luck. Attempted to upload pictures but it wont let me.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome! You won't be able to post pictures until you have 3 posts. Not to sound too negative off the bat but I hope you paid next to nothing for it. That aside, I'm doing a full resto on a 96 2050 Capri right now if you want to check it out.. I'm not sure how similar it is to mine tho...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

dont worry about the starter, the drive needs to be removed and the whole motor needs to come out (and everything else in the boat as well)

if the floor is rotten, so are the stringers, bulkheads and transom. so you are in for a full gut-n-restoration.

as jross827 indicated, hope you got the boat for next to nothing, as you will be spending about $5-8k on the restoration.
$3k on fiberglass and wood to restore the structure
$2k on the interior
$1-2k on the motor and drive
$1k on misc.

and about 600 hours of labor on it.