Please help. Is this safe?

dsweet2010

Cadet
I bought an 1989 ebbtide fish and ski for parts. But now I actually want to use the boat and want to put my Johnson 70 from my deck boat on it. The hull and transom are very solid but under the back lid where the wall supports join the floor the outer fiberglass is cracking at the bend from the support to where it joins the floor. I have been told by a couple of sources that it is irrelevant and still safe but I wanted to make sure before I rip off a transom in the lake. I can send the pictures upon request but the site will not let me upload them.

Ned L

Commander
Not to be critical, but,...... you're asking people looking at pictures on the internet to tell you if your going to loose your 70 hp outboard in the middle of a lake??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My opinion, if I were worried about it, I would repair it before boating. I think if there is any rot or problems there, it wasn't built that way and therefor something needs to be repaired. But that is just a random statement about anything. I haven't seen your issue, but I do get the impression you are worried about it. So I would fix it first just for piece of mind. JMHO

dsweet2010

Cadet
Thanks guys, but the parts I'm referring to are not on the transom itself. I don't know the name of the pieces I'm referring to as I have never had to question them before. It is the square box looking shape on the left and right hand side under what would be the rear platform on each side. It sits directly next to my battery. It is the area where the fuel tank sits in the back and the bilge pump. It is not part of the exterior of the boat at all I am just referring to the boxes on the left and right side where they join the floor. I am sorry to have to try to describe it if I could post my pictures I gladly would. Like I said to the pros I have shown photos to they say it is irrelevant but I just want to make sure.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Make one more post and in the next one you can add some photos.

I think what you're talking about are flotation foam boxes or similar located under the splashwell. These usually aren't structural, but without pics it's hard to say. So post again and then show us the pics.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If they are triangular and run fore-aft linking the hull to the transom. they are support gussets (or a couple of other names possible that mean the same thing) Those things hold the transom on when the engine is running. If they fail the engine can twist the transom and snap it right out of the boat.