1970 Crestliner Dane Transom concerns

amuller

Seaman
I finally took the motor off this boat and found that the top of the transom cutout is deflected about 1/2" "out." There is not very much structural wood in this boat. It amounts to a beam about 1 1/4" thick and 5 3/4" high, encased in aluminum. It may be similar to the Crestliner Nordic discussed here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...inum-1977-crestliner-rebuild-finally-underway

I don't see any significant cracks or broken welds--just the bending out of the transom at the top of the cutout, which wasn't noticeable with the motor installed. The wood, as much as one can tell through the motor mounting holes, seems a bit soft but not crumbling. The lower motor bolts aren't through any wood, just a single layer of aluminum (Except for the 1/2" protective pad on the outside).

I'm not sure how to approach this. Trying to replace this wood will turn into a big project, especially given that the boat is almost entirely welded. Is it essential?

I'd like to find a way to reinforce the transom a bit without cutting up the boat. The wide cutout--I presume for dual motors--could be narrowed.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo274912.jpg
    photo274912.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 6