Lake 'N Sea Caribbean restoration/restomod?

TommyRocker

Seaman
Hi all, we just picked up a nice running 1959 Lake 'N Sea. Paid $800 for it and it runs really well except the reverse gearset seems to be stripped, which didn't show itself running on the muffs. I actually think the seller would've taken$500 but I'm the world's worst negotiator. Engine is a 1972 Johnson 65 electric shift. Haven't dug into it much yet and in reality will probably sell it and put a more attractive/classic looking engine on it. We've taken it out a couple times and the kids really enjoyed it but after almost 60 years it's ready for some work. We're going to tear it down, likely replace stringers and transom, repair all the gouges, run proper wiring, paint it a better color, and have ourselves a nice classic cruiser. I did this to an old Sea Ray a few years ago but afterwards realized it was a fun project but not a boat I cared much for. This boat I'm really in love with, though. We're going to build it better than new and plan to keep it on the water a long time. Hopefully the vast wealth of experience and knowledge here will help that happen.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
simply upload to iboats. (its the little camera icon on the left). there is an updated tutorial in the general guidelines forum

tpenfield

Staff member
Subscribing in . . .
My neighbor had one in his driveway for a short while . . . I am assuming he sold it.

Looking forward to the pictures and following along.

TommyRocker

Seaman
No Title

null

Attachments

• photo274573.jpg
    photo274573.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo274574.jpg
    photo274574.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo274589.jpeg
    photo274589.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
It is kind of interesting to see a boat from that era, and look back on those days (which I vaguely remember), and think that those boats were considered decent sized boats. Today they seem tiny in comparison to the boats that many folks have today in the 25-30 foot range.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah we had a family of four, all camping equipment/food for a week, and a dog in a 16' Starcraft and a 60 hp with two six gallons fuel tanks

TommyRocker

Seaman
My dad was telling me that when he was a kid his dad bought a 17ft cabin cruiser of some kind and they thought it was massive, ended up downsizing. I feel like this is a good size for us. We don't have huge groups to take out and this boat is small and simple enough that we can afford to keep it on the water. Boating is an expensive hobby and it only gets more expensive as you move up in boats.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going to follow along too, if you don't mind. I love the late 50s early 60s boats. These guys here took me from an absolute noob, never having seen a boat practically, through a complete rebuild. You obviously know more about boats then when I started this obsession.

B.O.A.T.= Bring Out Another Thousand.

TommyRocker

Seaman
No Title

I found a 1967 Evinrude that looks to be in good shape locally for $100 with controls and some extras. Picked it up and ordered a manual for it. If I can get it running and working right we'll paint to to match the boat (thinking we're going seafoam and white). The styling of this one matches the boat better than the Johnson box shape, plus no electric shift to worry about. Hopefully it'll work out.

Attachments

• photo274938.jpg
    photo274938.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo274939.jpg
    photo274939.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo274940.jpg
    photo274940.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 1

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cool project! Tagging along if there,s room !
Member andgott restored the same boat a while back and he painted it pink ..I think the pb has all his picks held hostage as well .
Welcome aboard !!

TommyRocker

Seaman
No Title

No real progress, my gf had surgery this week. I've been ordering and/or saving bookmarks for things I'll need for the project. The chrome bits are in decent shape for their age but the chrome is starting to bubble or pit. Is there a source for the old style chocks and cleats and bow nav light? And the Taylor Made front mounting tabs for the windshield? Or am I stuck looking for NOS or rechroming? I'm not dead set on original but I do want to keep the original feel. I've found chocks that look good but the cleats are asymmetrical and almost look like an old school hood ornament, which is awesome.

Attachments

• photo275352.jpg
    photo275352.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275353.jpg
    photo275353.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275354.jpg
    photo275354.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You could find someone in your area and see what it costs to rechrome them.

TommyRocker

Seaman
On my 54 i kept the old and just settled on a bit of pitting

Yeah, that might be my only real option. Just seems a shame to put so much work into it and then have something so visible and simple look unfinished. Or like kcassells said, try rechroming them but I suspect that will be prohibitively expensive. I'll have to call around.

TommyRocker

Seaman
No Title

Haven't had a lot of time lately but I managed to pull the back seats, the terrible wiring a previous owner had rigged up, pulled out the battery and tank and associated bits and got the engine off. I'm hoping to finish stripping everything else, build a cradle, and pull the cap this weekend.

Attachments

• photo275841.jpg
    photo275841.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1