Gas tank removal/replacement...

jstaz

Seaman
I have a 17' v-hull that i found out has a hole on the underside of the inboard aluminum gas tank. I want to use the inboard tank again but the tank will not fit out of the access hole to patch the hole. Far as I see the only way to get the tank out is either remove the top half of the hull (not an option with my current situation) or cut the tank out and replace it altogether. I know nothing about tank removal/replacement but can and will learn. I took the boat to a shop and was told the cost or removal/replacement and the wiring work I need done in addition to the tank, I would be better off buying a new hull. I am looking into that but would rather fix what I have. I enjoy the satisfaction of such a challenge. Anyone have advise as to solutions to this issue I have little knowledge about as of right now? I will post photos tomorrow when I get home from shift.

If I cut it out, is it fine to just put a smaller tank in that would fit through the access hole? about 1' x 4.5' hole

alldodge

Staff member
either remove the top half of the hull (not an option with my current situation) or cut the tank out and replace it altogether.

Could use some further explaining of what you mean by this statement?
I replaced my tank by cutting in the top and then replace. Pics are very much needed

tpenfield

Staff member
+1 your description is a little hard to follow, so maybe take a breath and go slowly . . .

You have a 17' boat with an aluminum tank that has a hole in it.

The tank is bigger than the access hatch in the deck (no surprise there)

A boat shop told you to forgetaboutit . . .

I would post some pictures of the deck area and as much as you can get of the tank itself. If we can see what you are seeing, I think folks here can provide some guidance.

Chances are you can cut enough of the deck to get the tank out.

Don't try to cut the tank or you may be boating with angels . . .